Maryland men’s soccer’s Max Rogers lifted a free kick into the box searching for a go-ahead score.

Terps defender Jace Clark rose highest at the back post, sending a header toward goal. But Penn State goalie Andrew Cooke dove and caught the ball. It was Maryland’s last scoring chance on a night where the Terps created countless opportunities, but struggled to convert.

No. 12 Maryland was held for the first time in Big Ten play against Penn State, 1-1, Tuesday night at Ludwig Field. The Terps notched a season-high 20 shots to the Nittany Lions’ seven, but ended their perfect conference start.

Maryland (5-1-3, 3-0-1 Big Ten) dropped its first points this season, collecting 10 from a possible 12 through four matches.

Penn State’s defense entered Tuesday with the most goals allowed in the Big Ten. But Maryland’s attack, who’s scored in all but one match this year, struggled to break down the Nittany Lions’ back line.

“We certainly created enough opportunities to get more than one goal,” coach Sasho Cirovski said. “And from that standpoint, it’s disappointing to get a tie out of this game.”

Defender Luca Costabile and midfielder Albi Ndrenika were two Terps to get a shot off, but Penn State blocked both. Midfielder Matias de Jesus had a volley inside the box deflected away and forward Aidan Sheppela’s effort never made it to goal. Nittany Lions defenders thwarted away five shots in the first half.

[Colin Griffith’s versatility helps Maryland men’s soccer’s attack]

Colin Griffith — coming into the game having scored three times in his last four appearances — struck the post for the Terps. But the best opportunity fell to the feet of Jameson Michel.

Sheppela sent a long pass across the field to Michel, who took a touch off of his chest and dribbled into the box. Michel sent a close-range shot toward goal, but his shot was deterred away by Penn State goalie Andrew Cooke for his second save of the half.

Sheppela’s long-distance passing was vital later in Maryland’s score.

He switched the field in the 56th minute to Griffith, who received the pass and finished into the bottom corner for his fourth goal in the last five games. It was Sheppela’s first assist of the season.

“I challenged Aiden to be a little bit more aggressive, to want the ball more and to use his set of skills,” Cirovski said. “I thought he had a nice shift when he got in the game today.”

Clark and Costabile placed shots on target in the waning minutes, but Cooke denied both to spoil the Terps’ perfect start in the conference.

Maryland’s defense was stout once again against conference opposition. The Terps allowed just one goal in three Big Ten contests entering the match, and have still haven’t given up a goal from open play.

[Diamondback Sports Digest: Fútbol booms, football dooms]

Their back line surrendered just three shots over the first 45 minutes. Maryland midfielder Chris Steinleitner made a vital block to deny the Nittany Lions a scoring chance, and Penn State midfielder Caden Grabfelder fired a shot wide.

Terps’ goalie Laurin Mack made his first save of the half to deny Michael Hewes inside the six-yard box. Later in the second half, Mack came up big again.

Hewes got in behind the Maryland defense and dribbled into the box. Mack raced off of his goal line and stuck out his leg, pushing the shot onto the post which he then collected. But Mack couldn’t keep his shutout for much longer.

The Nittany Lions won a free kick right outside the box in the 62nd minute. Grabfelder struck the ball over the Maryland wall and beat Mack to level the score after Griffith’s opener.

The Terps’ wastefulness ended their winning start against Big Ten teams.

While Maryland’s defense continues to limit opportunities for opponents, its attack squandered multiple chances in the draw.

“We’ll take the point,” Cirovski said. “We’ll get better and we’ll get ready for Saturday.”