Maryland football found itself on the wrong side of history against Indiana Saturday. The Terps became the first Big Ten team in the past decade to lose a contest with a turnover margin of four or better.

Since 2014, 12 power conference teams won the turnover margin battle by four or more and lost. In those contests, more than half were decided by seven or fewer points.

The Terps are the sole team in 2024 who have done that so far. Indiana beat them 42-28 in Bloomington.

Maryland fell to 0-2 against first year Big Ten coaches in its losses to Michigan State’s Jonathan Smith and Indiana’s Curt Cignetti.

Coach Michael Locksley told his team that Saturday’s loss was just “one game.” But similar mistakes that have plagued Maryland under Locksley arose against the Hoosiers. Saturday was an anomaly, but the Terps put themselves in that position with repeated miscues.

“It’s as simple as cleaning up the things that you can control,” Locksley said. “It ain’t that hard.”

[Diamondback Sports Digest: Fútbol booms, football dooms]

The Terps committed 10 penalties for 93 yards, their most infractions this season. They are tied for the second-most penalties in the Big Ten. Five of those penalties were pre- or post-play infractions.

The Terps struggled to run the football. Outside of Roman Hemby’s 75-yard touchdown run, Maryland rushed for 37 yards. Indiana’s defense also generated 25 pressures and five sacks against Maryland’s offensive line, according to Pro Football Focus.

“These kids, they’re going to make these mistakes, and I got to get them fixed,” Locksley said.

Locksley’s pointed out the offensive line’s struggles this season. Maryland reshaped its starting group in the offseason by bringing in multiple transfers. The unit has not excelled through five games.

Edwards faced a third down average of nine yards, which makes it difficult to succeed on critical possessions.

It wasn’t just the offense that struggled. Defensive coordinator Brian Williams’ unit forced four turnovers but allowed 10 explosive passing plays. Indiana consistently gashed Maryland’s defense on the ground as well.

[Maryland football drops to 0-2 in Big Ten with 42-28 loss to Indiana]

The Terps secondary has been erratic. They’ve generated multiple turnovers in each game, but have also allowed countless long passing plays. This happened against Michigan State and Indiana, potentially costing Maryland victories in both games.

Maryland also committed a defensive unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in consecutive weeks, gifting the opposing team 15 yards.

“We can’t beat ourselves defensively,” linebacker Ruben Hyppolite II said. “That’s unacceptable at this point.”

The Terps are 3-2 through five games but beat the No. 76 and No. 86 teams in The Athletic’s weekly rankings of all Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

Maryland’s remaining schedule is difficult. Rutgers, Oregon, Iowa, Penn State and USC are all in The Athletic’s top-35 rankings. Three of those teams are ranked in the Associated Press’ top 25.

Maryland has won a bowl game in three consecutive years. It could break that streak if issues persist.