Crowds flocked to The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center Friday for a lecture from “the world’s most famous amphibian” — Kermit the Frog. 

Muppet performer Matt Vogel joined the talking frog during the discussion alongside the evening’s host — arts and humanities college dean Stephanie Shonekan. 

Jim Henson, creator of The Muppets and Kermit’s main performer for decades, graduated from this university in 1960. On campus, he and the iconic frog are memorialized in a bronze statue depicting the two sitting on a red granite bench outside Stamp Student Union.”

The event, part of this year’s arts and humanities dean’s lecture series, also included a Q&A with Kermit and performances of famous muppet tunes by members of multiple musical groups at this university. 

[‘The Digital Landscape’ exhibit explores the digital, human relationship]

“I grew up with The Muppet Show and Kermit, so this is just really exciting ” junior history major Melody Freed said. 

After performances of “The Muppet Show Tonight,” “Mahna Mahna” and a rendition of “Happy Feet” by Kermit himself, the lecture began with Vogel, Kermit’s main performer since 2017. In it, he discussed his background as a muppet performer and his feelings on the craft.

Vogel’s reverence for Henson was evident as he spoke, as was his passion for the art of puppeteering and the joy it brings others.

“I really liked how personal everything felt, all the questions,” sophomore music education major Marli Banner said. “He was speaking from his heart, even through Kermit.”

Kermit’s arrival at Friday’s event was met with vigorous applause. The muppet spread a message of love and acceptance, telling the audience that it’s okay if they’re different or have different ideas, as long as they dream big and follow their passions.

The frog urged attendees to look to places that remind them to be “perfectly one of a kind,” such as a song, book or community, he said.

The most memorable moment of the night was the show’s closing, which featured a Kermit-led singalong to “Rainbow Connection.” 

[‘Grotesquerie,’ a gruesome masterpiece, is too aware of its own critique]

Some people in the audience were moved to tears. Others knew all the words by heart. 

Gracie Morgan, a junior clarinet performance major, said she got tickets to the event as soon as she heard Kermit was coming to this university. 

“It was cool to see all the audience members, young to very old people, just connecting with Kermit,”she said.