Maryland men’s soccer’s Luca Costabile controlled a once-loose ball at the top of the box. With his back to goal, he found Colin Griffith inside the penalty area.

Costabile flicked a back heel feed to the Terps’ forward, who took a touch and thumped a strike past Northwestern goalie Rafael Ponce De Leon to double the Terps’ advantage in the first 20 minutes.

Griffith’s tally — and his ability to win a penalty kick early in the opening frame — guided No. 19 Maryland to a 2-1 victory over the Wildcats Friday night at Northwestern Medicine Field.

The Terps (5-1-3, 3-0-0 Big Ten) begin conference play with three consecutive wins for the first time since 2012, a feat they never completed in the Big Ten until this year. They’ve already eclipsed their point total from last season with nine points through three matches.

[Maryland men’s soccer benefits from Max Rogers’ set piece prowess]

Maryland’s attack struck early in the 12th minute courtesy of Griffith’s determination down the left-hand flank.

Midfielder Leon Koehl fed Griffith, accelerating down the sideline. He dribbled inside toward the goal and beat Northwestern (5-4-0, 0-3-0 Big Ten) defender Bryant Mayer with his pace. Mayer attempted to win the ball with a challenge, but instead took down Griffith inside the box.

Koehl stepped up from the penalty spot and converted his fourth successful penalty of the year to open the scoring.

Only a few minutes later, Griffith’s third score of the season, his second in Big Ten play, pushed the Terps’ advantage to two goals in the first 17 minutes of the match.

Maryland’s forwards have been lethal to begin conference play. The Terps struck six times over their initial three games against Big Ten teams, one of the best marks in the conference.

Maryland’s defense began Big Ten play without conceding a goal, blanking Wisconsin’s and Indiana’s attack. But it couldn’t do the same against Northwestern, who entered the match without a conference goal. It struck in the 64th minute, after a poor offensive opening period.

[Alex Nitzl’s position switch solidified Maryland men’s soccer’s backline]

The Wildcats only managed four shots in the first half and failed to place one on the Terps’ goal. Northwestern didn’t register an attempt on target until the first minute of the second half, which Maryland goalie Laurin Mack saved. It was his only save of the contest.

Wildcats’ midfielder Colin McCamy lofted a free kick into the box midway through the second half. The ball fell to the feet of forward Christopher Thaggard, who beat Mack with a close range finish on Northwestern’s second shot on goal in the 64th minute.

But Thaggard’s goal was the last shot on target given up by the Terps for the rest of the game. Despite getting outshot 13-5, Maryland’s back line prevented a second half collapse to earn a third conference win.

The Terps’ attack, propelled by Griffith and Koehl, and their defense seem primed to contend at the top of the Big Ten, a change from last season’s winless conference campaign.