Tahirah Turnage-Morales knew where the shot was going. The Maryland women’s soccer defender, who had practiced corner kick techniques with her team all week, instinctively ran to the back post.

Turnage-Morales’ head collided with the ball after junior forward Delaney DeMartino launched it toward the goal. It traveled to the net just for Oregon goalkeeper Maddy Goldberg to make a quick save.

“I think it was one of the higher corner kicks for us in a Big Ten game,” coach Meghan Ryan Nemzer said. “So once again, [we have] the final piece, just [need to] execute.”

Maryland hasn’t won a conference game in 701 days. But Nemzer is still pleased with her team’s minor improvements through the Big Ten slate and her underclassmen making an impact on the pitch.

[The Diamondback Sports Digest: Maryland football dominates in nonconference play]

“I know that they obviously see [Sunday] as a loss, but as a coach and having a plan for this program, it was a good step forward, and we need to continue to build off that,” Nemzer said.”

The Terps’ last Big Ten win and goal came Oct. 23, 2022 against Purdue. They put up just five combined shots against No. 1 Michigan State and Washington — their first two conference opponents this season — before putting up another five against the Ducks on Sunday.

Despite failing to finish any shots at net, the Terps created their most offensive opportunities yet against Oregon. Much of that production came from underclassmen.

Sophomore Peyton Bernard created the most consistent pressure the Terps have put in the box since the start of conference play. The forward, also a dependable starter since last season, delivered aggressive crosses and earned one of the team’s two shots on goal in 81 minutes.

[Maryland women’s soccer drops third straight, falls to Oregon, 2-0]

Turnage-Morales recorded the other shot on frame. The redshirt sophomore battled an injury in 2023 but has already exceeded her play time from previous seasons.

“Whether it was a 90-yard run, or blocking shots, or [Turnage-Morales] stepping up … with a header today, just those little moments of winning the moment,” Nemzer said.

Nemzer said these moments transpire when players focus on their effort, energy, competing and accountability. While in the midst of a losing streak, those are a few facets players can continue to control, the coach said.

Maryland’s response to adversity has been a big focal point for Nemzer since the start of the season. Nemzer has challenged the team to keep energy in the opponent’s defensive third even after the Terps conceded 10 goals across three games.

“We want to win as bad as anybody right now, but we can’t get focused on the wins and losses,” Nemzer said. “We need to get focused on the process. And that’s the message.”