Maryland field hockey senior Kylee Niswonger had scored just two goals in her collegiate career entering play against Lock Haven last Sunday. Less than a week later, she’s tripled that number.

The midfielder scored four goals in No. 7 Maryland’s past two games — a hat trick against Lock Haven and another against Rutgers — to lead the team through seven contests.

Niswonger has played a pivotal role in the Terps’ attack the past couple seasons. Without flashy goal-scoring numbers during that time, though, her contributions have been occasionally overlooked.

But the senior has emerged as a centerpiece in Maryland’s attack following this week’s breakout — all the while maintaining the same unselfish mindset.

“She’s very skillful as an attacker [for] two reasons: her hands are super fast, but also she’s willing to really stay away from the play so that others can have space, and then she cycles,” coach Missy Meharg said.

[Josie Hollamon’s penalty stroke lifts No. 7 Maryland field hockey over No. 13 Rutgers, 3-2]

Niswonger’s four goals have all followed a similar trend. She consistently finds pockets of space in front of the goal where she’s able to score off her teammates’ passes.

Her lone goal against Rutgers on Friday was a prime example.

Emma DeBerdine got set to take a penalty corner midway through the fourth quarter with the Terps looking to add to their one-goal advantage. The graduate student sent her entry pass to a crouching Ericka Morris-Adams, who set the ball for freshman forward Ella Gaitan at the top of the shooting circle.

Gaitan sent a shot toward the bottom left corner of the cage, where Scarlet Knight goalkeeper Sophia Howard initially dove. Howard may have been able to save Gaitan’s attempt, but a clever move from Niswonger left the Scarlet Knights shot stopper with no chance.

Like Morris-Adams, Niswonger started in a setting position when the corner was taken. As soon as DeBerdine sent the ball in, Niswonger sprung to her feet and cycled to a small patch of space in the center of the shooting circle.

Niswonger — who wasn’t looking at Howard — instinctively laid her stick in front of Gaitan’s shot, deflecting the ball into the top of the cage. The score eventually stood as Maryland’s game winning goal against Rutgers.

[Maryland volleyball defeats UCF, 3-2, in tight five-set battle]

“I don’t think it’s any different, I think I just have a lot of trust in my teammates,” Niswonger said. “I know where they’re going to put it and where I need to be for them, so I think it’s just the trust that we’re building as a team.”

Maryland demonstrated this cohesiveness in the build up play for its final goal against Lock Haven.

With the ball at the edge of the penalty circle, Hope Rose made a 180-degree pivot before charging toward the goal. The few Bald Eagle defenders in the shooting circle moved up to pressure Rose, leaving a passing lane between Rose and Niswonger. The latter had made an attacking run toward the back post while the Terps worked up the right side of the field.

Trusting that Rose would find her, Niswonger remained parked at the back post while Lock Haven defenders evaded the space. Rose then sent an inch-perfect pass to Niswonger, who finished off her hat trick with a tap-in goal.

Meharg has described Niswonger as a catalyst. The midfielder’s lack of goal-scoring in past years may have unsubstantiated that claim. This year is different.

Only time will tell whether Niswonger’s recent scoring trend continues. Even if it doesn’t, the Terps’ offense will continue to rely on the intelligent and unselfish attacking decisions of its senior captain.