Despite the seemingly unstable autumn temperatures in Maryland, fall is upon us. Between warily checking the forecast before hauling out any of my favorite big sweaters and dodging summer-like heat, however, I’ve been listening to some of my top albums to get in the autumn mood. 

Here are six great albums to get you ready for fall, even if it’s going to be 85 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny next week.

Songs of Leonard Cohen, Leonard Cohen

Cohen’s hypnotic guitar playing and psychedelic songwriting transports listeners through a carefully crafted autumn world in his best and most cohesive work by far. The record evokes hazy backrooms, missed connections, love gone cold, European toy stores after closing, fallen oak leaves and a man cupping his hands together for warmth. Check out “Store Room” and “Blessed Is the Memory,” two outtakes from the same sessions, on YouTube for more of Cohen’s early work in his indispensible fall favorite that never gets old.

Never for Ever, Kate Bush

Kate Bush’s boundless imagination and fantastical songwriting have made an unlikely match for her majestic English sensibilities, which created her a deeply romantic, frequently tragic musical style. But it’s clear that her third studio album, Never for Ever, is her most autumnal. She takes the listener on an orchestral pop journey through literature, love and loss. “Babooshka” and “Army Dreamers” are the  standout tracks, but “Blow Away (For Bill)” and “The Wedding List” are hard to ignore, and perfect for making your autumn a little more magical.

[Here’s how to make traditional tortillas de maíz]

Javelin, Sufjan Stevens

This album is my personal favorite from Stevens, undoubtedly one of the most talented songwriters in this century, and a great fall companion. Highlights such as “So You Are Tired” and “Will Anybody Ever Love Me?” rip your heart out with Stevens’ doleful, striking lyrics, but keep you listening with his dizzying, expertly layered chamber pop and folk production. Each song starts small and grows into a sprawling wall of sound that knocks you out by the end. Overall, it’s a touching ode to Stevens’ partner, who died in April 2023.

Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes

This band’s debut album is one I seem to enjoy more with every early October listen. Robin Pecknold’s near-divine songwriting coupled with the band’s tight, reverb-laden harmonies and masterful chamber folk production synthesizes into an album you can put on anywhere or anytime, but especially the fall. 

After the Gold Rush, Neil Young

It seems most people feel that Harvest, one of Young’s most commercial releases, was his core autumn moment, spurned on by favorites such as “Old Man” and “Heart of Gold.” For me, the Young release that always makes my soundtrack for the season is After the Gold Rush, a much different meditation on the fall. While Harvest evokes memories of golden hour sunsets and long drives along swaths of corn, After the Gold Rush feels like a muggy September morning just before it rains. It’s withdrawn, dour and even spiteful. Complete with its share of beautiful moments, you know you’re in for something special as soon as you hear the twin guitars and wailing Young’s vocals on “Tell Me Why.”

[Local musicians take the stage for WMUC Fest]

The Band, The Band

The Band’s album delivers the sound of the group reaching its creative peak. The band perfected its uncommon synthesis of multiple homegrown American genres such as R&B, rock, country and even soul. Each member is allowed a chance to independently shine through instrumental performances or lead vocals, and the result is an album that feels like all is improbably in its correct place. It’s a journey through history, music and North America. Music from Big Pink is a great companion album — I consider both autumn essentials.