By Sara Rooney

As incoming University of Maryland students filled Xfinity Center for new student festivities, they were greeted by dozens of freshmen who are part of the Mighty Sound of Maryland — this university’s marching ensemble.

The marching ensemble, which has 235 members including more than 80 freshmen, performed at several university events this year, including the New Student Welcome and Maryland football’s first two home games. The band’s freshmen members say the group gave them a supportive community and eased the transition to college.

Freshmen in the Mighty Sound of Maryland arrived on campus for the new school year on Aug. 18 — almost one week before other first-years moved into their dorms.

The early move-in helped band members adjust to the college environment, freshman music education major and band member Waverly Nakashima said.

[UMD students can now get alerts for favorite dining hall foods]

Owen Howard, a freshman physics major and band member, said the band’s fast paced nature, in addition to adjusting to college, has been an abrupt transition.

“In college, it goes really fast,” Howard said. “One kid told me … ‘What we did today in this band camp, in one day, was something that would take us a week [in high school].’”

For freshman psychology major Kieran Wilson, welcoming the incoming class as part of the band was a memorable college experience.

Wilson also said the band’s upperclassmen provided insight into college life. Upperclassmen gave campus tours to new band members to ensure they felt comfortable, Wilson said.

“You learn more from there than you would by going to these welcome events when you’re in the band,” Wilson said.

Several freshmen, including Nakashima, said they relied on experienced band members to help them learn musical concepts.

“In a section of 35, there are 34 other people who know the music, so I wasn’t too stressed,” Nakashima said. “They understand that we’re learning.”

[Creative Commons cafe in Tawes Hall reopens after pandemic closure]

The band’s staff, including athletic bands director Andrea Brown and athletic bands assistant director Craig Potter, supported new members and selected effective student leadership within the band, Nakashima said.

“As long as you’re working hard, there’s no issues at all,” Howard said, “Everyone’s super supportive.”

Wilson said they appreciate the collaboration within the ensemble, which is an environment Wilson didn’t experience in high school band.

Everyone in the band is supportive and accepts others, Wilson added.

While Mighty Sound of Maryland’s intensity can intimidate new members, the collective hard work and passion makes the experience fulfilling, Nakashima said.

“Everyone wants the show to look the best they can,” Nakashima said. “You get to be rewarded by this payoff, with people that you really enjoy being around.”