This year, the MTV Video Music Awards marked their 40th anniversary with a show hosted by the hot girl coach herself, Megan Thee Stallion. In a likely homage to this milestone, Wednesday’s ceremony featured tributes to past VMAs, alongside many moments for first-time attendees. 

Eminem kicked off the show with a call back to his 2000 VMA performance. Featuring a squad of Slim Shady clones and his signature blonde hair, the rapper performed his 2024 hit “Houdini,”  which itself references Eminem’s earlier work, echoing his “Without Me” intro: “Guess who’s back, back again?” It’s also symbolic given that in the latter song, he sings, “They tried to shut me down on MTV.” 

Wednesday night was also phenomenal for Latin and Hispanic artists. Karol G performed her song “Si Antes Te Hubiera Conocido” surrounded with flags from North and South American countries, with her home Colombia in her back pocket.  Brazilian singer Anitta won Best Latin for her song “Mil Veces,” and said in her acceptance speech that it has been an amazing year for Latin culture — specifically acknowledging Karol G’s success. 

[The Diamondback’s guide to Family Weekend at UMD]

Sabrina Carpenter, Tyla and Chappell Roan all experienced their first VMA wins. Roan blew up the stage — literally — sporting shining armor with a lit crossbow during her performance of “Good Luck, Babe!” During her acceptance speech for Best New Artist, she gave a heartfelt message to her fans, especially those who are queer. 

“I see you. I understand you because I’m one of you, and don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t be exactly who you want to be, bitch,” Roan said in a chainmail dress.

While Carpenter performed at last year’s pre-show, she took the main stage for the first time with an out-of-this-world set. She began with “Please Please Please” into her new single “Taste.” In a surprising moment before transitioning into “Espresso,” Carpenter got a “taste” of her alien background dancer when they kissed. The singer later won Song of the Year and thanked “that me espresso.”

Although Tyla didn’t take home the Best New Artist award, she still had a phenomenal night. Wearing a gorgeous yellow fringe dress, the South African singer won Best Afrobeats for her song “Water.” In her acceptance speech, Tyla recognized her music’s global impact and how African music can be popular music, while calling out how award shows tend to group African artists into one category.

“Even though Afrobeats has run things and has opened so many doors for us, African music is so diverse. It’s more than just Afrobeats,” she said. Talk your shit, Tyla.

One cannot talk about the VMAs without mentioning the Video Vanguard Award, MTV’s version of a lifetime achievement award. This year’s recipient was none other than Katy Perry. 

Perry’s partner, Orlando Bloom, presented her with the award following his sweet speech about how fans fell in love with pop star “Katy Perry” and her unique sense of humor. He, on the other hand, fell in love with “Katheryn Hudson” — Perry’s real name.

Perry proceeded to serve “mother” with her highly anticipated performance and sang numerous of her classic hits. She started with “Dark Horse,” before heading into other popular songs including “I Kissed A Girl,” “California Gurls” and “Firework,” and invited rapper Doechii onto stage for “I’M HIS, HE’S MINE.” With butterflies in the air and the crowd, Perry’s final song was a beautiful rendition of her new single “LIFETIMES.” 

[Blink-182 retains signature teen angst on new album]

Exciting moments occurred outside of performances too, like Megan Thee Stallion paying homage to Britney Spears’ iconic 2001 VMA performance of  “I’m a Slave 4 U,” with a recreation of her legendary outfit — complete with a real albino python.  

The VMAs wrapped up with a tribute to Def Jam Recordings — also celebrating its 40th anniversary. LL Cool J was the leading performer of the celebration, delivering a six-minute medley of his greatest tracks, like “Headsprung,” “Going Back to Cali” and “Around The Way Girl,” along with newer songs such as “Passion” and “Proclivities.” 

LL Cool J’s performance revisited the ‘90s with record scratching, breakdancing and guest appearances by Public Enemy’s Flavor Flav and Chuck D. His performance concluded with “Doin’ It,” which he performed at the VMAs in 1996.

The night showcased the diversity and talent that define the music industry today. Established stars and emerging artists continue to make their mark on the VMA stage with their commanding presence and impressive backgrounds.