The University of Maryland is often celebrated for its diverse student body, cutting-edge research and vibrant campus life. However, beneath the surface of this bustling academic community lies a glaring issue: a chronic failure to engage its commuter students in campus events and activities.

Despite comprising a significant portion of the student population, commuter students are often left feeling like outsiders disconnected from the pulse of university life. The university’s lack of intentional strategies to involve these students undermines their college experience and also highlights a larger problem of inclusivity and accessibility on campus. 

It’s time for this university to rethink how it engages this often overlooked group and take actionable steps to give commuter students a sense of belonging and lessen the burdens commuting imposes.

Commuter students face unique challenges compared to those living on campus. They juggle long travel times, limited access to campus facilities and often struggle to find a community amongst their peers. 

Still, this university has done little to address these challenges and tailor its events and resources to the needs of commuters. Many events, including those geared at commuter students, like the university’s Transfer and Off-Campus Student Appreciation Week, are scheduled during peak traffic hours. It’s nearly impossible for commuters to attend without sacrificing their personal time or battling through arduous travel.

The disconnect is further exacerbated by the absence of dedicated spaces for commuters to relax, study or socialize between classes. This university’s transfer and off-campus student life does host a Good Morning Commuters event on the first Wednesday of each month, but even this outreach gives little consideration to the needs of commuters. It is held during peak class time when traffic to campus is at its busiest, making it inaccessible to many commuters.

Without a permanent designated area for commuters to call their own, they are left to wander between classes feeling like temporary visitors rather than integral members of the campus community.

Though this university is not alone in its struggle to engage commuter students, several universities have risen to the challenge by creating innovative solutions that make their commuter populations feel seen, heard and included. These institutions offer valuable lessons this university could adopt to improve the commuter student experience.

For example, California State University, Long Beach implemented a robust commuter services program that includes amenities like commuter lockers, storage spaces and personalized transportation plans. Similarly, the University of Illinois Chicago operates a commuter student resource center as a hub for commuter engagement. The center offers a welcoming space with lounges, a kitchenette and study areas tailored for commuters. The university also hosts regular workshops and social events, like Commuter Connect, where students can unwind, meet others and feel part of the university fabric. 

This kind of dedicated, commuter-specific programming is precisely what this university is lacking. Montclair State University’s Commuter Pit Stops are another example of a successful engagement strategy, with stops located throughout campus offering snacks, information and a place for students to recharge. 

This kind of flexibility and accessibility could be a game-changer for this university, providing commuter students with community touchpoints throughout their day that don’t require them to stay on campus for extended periods and potentially endure higher traffic as a result.

To remedy its shortcomings, there are several actionable steps this university can take. The first must be to establish a commuter student resource center to provide a much-needed sense of belonging. This center should offer study areas, microwaves, lockers and a lounge where students can relax between classes. More importantly, it would serve as a hub for resources tailored to commuters.

Such a pit stop would become especially valuable during times before exams, when the limited spaces available in university libraries tend to fill quickly, leaving commuters with no place to go. Moreover, a dedicated space would offer a place of connection. Commuters are more susceptible to social isolation, which is a leading cause of a multitude of health risks, from depression to poor cardiovascular function. 

Making these seemingly small changes sends a clear message to commuter students: that they are heard, respected and valued members of the campus community. This university must take the proactive steps needed to offer socialization events and spaces accessible to commuters as a matter of student health.

This university has the opportunity to lead the way in creating a more inclusive and engaging environment for its commuter students. By learning from successful initiatives at other universities and implementing these changes, this university can transform its approach, making every student feel like they truly belong, no matter where they come from or how they get to campus.

Nikki Rostamiani is a senior economics and government and politics major. She can be reached at nrostami@terpmail.umd.edu.