Maryland men’s basketball will begin a four-game series with Virginia starting in the 2025-26 season, it announced in a release on Wednesday. The series starts with the Terps on the road and will alternate sites each year.

It’s the longest-played series in program history with 184 match-ups since 1913. The Terps and Cavaliers played in all but one season from 1924-2014. Maryland holds a 108-76 record over its former ACC rival.

Virginia has been the more successful program as of late. The Cavaliers have only missed the NCAA tournament once since 2013 and won the national championship in 2019.

[Derik Queen, Julian Reese’s reunion gives Maryland renewed hope]

The schools have only played twice since Maryland left the ACC in 2014, both in the ACC-Big Ten challenge.

“Maryland and Virginia have a long basketball history and we’re excited to bring this series back to life,” Maryland coach Kevin Willard said in the release. “I think it means a lot to our fanbase to have our historic rivalries rekindled between Georgetown and now Virginia, which has been outstanding under coach [Tony] Bennett.”

The Terps less than three months ago announced a four-game series with Georgetown, also beginning in the 2025-26 season. After long hiatuses with the program’s two biggest local foes, Maryland and Willard have ended both droughts in one offseason.