Sunday marked the first day college lacrosse coaches could contact class of 2026 high school players. Maryland didn’t waste any time — men’s and women’s lacrosse both picked up highly-touted prospects within the opening days.

Meanwhile, coach Michael Locksley and his staff remained active on the recruiting trail and men’s basketball made the top three for a local prospect.

Commits

Women’s Lacrosse
Cayden Reese, 2026, attack, draw specialist and midfield, Maryvale Preparatory School, Glenelg

Maryland women’s lacrosse landed the No. 1 recruit in the class of 2026 when Reese committed on Sunday. Her mother, Maryland coach Cathy Reese, won five national championships at the helm of the program.

The 5-foot-9 left-hander is slated to play on the USA Select U16 team this fall ahead of her junior season. Reese was named to the American Select All-Tournament First Team in 2022 and 2023, and she also snagged tournament MVP honors in 2022. Reese plays for Hero’s Lacrosse and Maryvale Preparatory School.

[Individual excellence has allowed Maryland field hockey to overcome low-block defenses]

“She’s a kid that wants the world on her shoulders and definitely executes when she gets that opportunity,” Tierney Ahearn, director of Hero’s Lacrosse, said. “She’s a very, very high level athlete and a very, very high level lacrosse player, for sure.”

Men’s Lacrosse
Brad Barber, 2026, attack and midfield, Springfield High School, Springfield, Pennsylvania
Barber marked the Terps’ first commitment of coach John Tillman’s 2026 class with his announcement this week. The four-star prospect logged 64 goals and 17 assists with Springfield last spring. He is also the No. 53 prospect in his class, according to Inside Lacrosse.

Barber told Philly Lacrosse that he chose Maryland for the “people, staff and atmosphere.”

Football
Brelan Washington, 2025, tight end and wide receiver, La Plata High School, La Plata

Locksley gave Washington his first collegiate offer on July 27. Just more than a month later, Washington stamped his commitment to the Terps.

Maryland remained the only offer for the Waldorf product before his commitment. Washington is an unranked prospect, according to On3. The recruit plays both wide receiver and tight end according to his MaxPreps page.

Offers

Football
Jaylen Burke, 2026, running back, St. Frances Academy, Baltimore

The Terps offered Jaylen Burke on Aug. 27, according to a post on X, formerly Twitter. He is the ninth running back Maryland has offered in the 2026 class. No running backs have committed.

[Maryland football can’t ease into its schedule with early Big Ten test]

Burke played two games on the Panthers’ varsity team as a freshman. The 5-foot-9, 185-pound back tallied eight also carried for 47 yards that season. There are no stats available for his sophomore season.

Locksley has also offered St. Frances Academy teammates Maurice Medley and Damon Hall Jr. in the 2026 class. Hall Jr., a three-star tight end, committed to the Terps on Aug. 20.

Burke also has offers from Toledo, Boston College and the University of North Carolina-Charlotte. On3’s recruiting database projects Burke to commit to Boston College.

Announcements

Men’s Basketball
Omari Witherspoon, 2025, guard, St. John’s College High School, Washington, D.C.

The three-star combo guard placed the Terps in his top three on Tuesday night alongside Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt, according to his post on X. Witherspoon is the No. 5 prospect in Washington, D.C., in his class and the No. 31 combo guard nationally, according to 247Sports.

Witherspoon was named to the First Team All-Washington Catholic Athletic Conference following his junior year. He also earned First Team All-D.C. State Athletic Association and Second Team All-Metropolitan honors.