Maryland men’s soccer’s Max Rogers and Leon Koehl both stood over a free kick just outside the box. While both players eyed the opportunity, Rogers took it.

The senior curled a left-footed effort from about 25 yards out high into the upper corner of the net. After an early Terps’ goal was erased, Rogers’ outrageous strike guaranteed them their second victory of the season, a 2-1 win over Brown Friday night at Ludwig Field.

Both Maryland (2-1-2) scores came off set pieces.

“As a lefty, you kind of dream of that, you know, a touch if to the right there to get it up and over the wall,” Rogers said. “And I saw it, and finally, it paid off.”

Despite the victory, a similar low output in attacking production to previous games limited the Terps’ offense. Maryland hasn’t scored a goal from open play since its 5-2 win over Detroit Mercy on August 30, elapsing over 200 minutes of game time.

Early on, Maryland’s inefficiency in previous games placing shots on target wasn’t an issue against Brown (1-1-0).

[An attack mindset from Maryland men’s soccer’s full-backs can boost the offense]

Four of its first nine shots were put on frame. But despite an early Koehl penalty, his second goal from the spot in as many games, the Terps saundered multiple chances to extend their lead.

“I’m very confident in taking the shot,” Koehl said. “I saw the keeper dive early, so I put it in the left corner. This time a little bit better than last time, so I’m happy I scored.

Full-back Luca Costablile received a pass inside the penalty area and fired a first-time shot toward the goal that narrowly evaded the far post.

Minutes later, a pair of chances from forwards Colin Griffith and Luke van Heukelum were deterred by Bears’ goalie Henrik Weiper.

Griffith raced down the left flank in the 20th minute. He dribbled the ball while cutting inside to free himself from a defender, drubbing a low shot toward the near post that was parried behind for a corner kick.

Griffith also missed an opportunity wide in the 10th minute after a cross went all through the box to the junior.

Van Heukelum rose to meet a Rogers cross and redirect an effort on the cage on the ensuing corner after Griffith’s second scoring chance. But similarly to Griffith’s shot, Weiper tipped the ball away from his goal to deny Maryland a second score.

[Maryland men’s soccer draws with Virginia, 1-1]

Forward Mikkel Lejbowicz curled an effort past the post to mark another half where Maryland recorded a shots-on-goal percentage under 50 percent. The Terps only put two of their 10 shots on target against Virginia Monday, and the poor shooting trend continued in the first 45 minutes against Brown.

Steinleitner contributed to the Terps’ poor attack in the second half as he pushed forward on a free kick right outside the box. The center back found space in between two Brown defenders, but failed to turn a shot toward the goal.

Maryland recorded just one shot in the second half, allowing the Bears to stay close before striking.

Brown equalized in the 78th minute after a long throw-in fell to the feet of Lorenzo Amaral, who fired past Terps’ goalie Laurin Mack to tie the contest before Rogers’ free-kick winner with nine minutes to go.

Maryland’s attacking play is still lacking the required output it needs to garner consistent positive results — without a penalty and free kick, the Terps would have lost their second game of the year. Another display like Friday’s second half could lead to another disappointing season.

“We’re still not at full strength, but I like our locker room,” coach Sasho Cirovski said. “I liked the call from our team. … we put in a good shift in every game so far this year.”