Maryland men’s soccer’s Luca Costabile drifted into the Terps’ attacking third late in the first half against Virginia.

Costabile ventured inside the penalty area as Albi Ndrenika lost possession. The full-back touched the loose ball as Cavaliers forward Triton Beauvois tripped the Maryland defender.

Costabile’s advanced position won the Terps a penalty that Leon Koehl dispatched into the net to earn Maryland a 1-1 draw against Virginia.

The Terps’ attack has been flat during their opening four games this year. Aside from a five-goal outburst against Detroit Mercy, Maryland registered just two goals in three games against UMBC, Georgetown and the Cavaliers. The Terps’ attacking-minded outside defenders could benefit an attacking unit in need of finishing.

“The way we play, it’s very important,” coach Sasho Cirovski said. “The way modern teams play now, you really need your wing-backs, outside backs, full-backs — whatever you want to call them — to be a big part of your attack.”

The formation Maryland has used during the beginning of the campaign allows full-backs like Costabile to act as wing-backs. These defenders play out of their normal position and take up space in the wider areas of the pitch while having an assignment of tracking back to defend when the Terps lose possession.

[Maryland men’s soccer draws with Virginia, 1-1]

The Terps keep two players in the midfield — usually a mix of Koehl, Alex Nitzl and Kenny Quist-Therson — and four up top. Forwards Max Rogers and Sadam Masereka routinely alternate which flank they attack. The addition of Maryland’s outside defenders — like Costabile — joining their forward counterparts could unlock a greater goal scoring threat.

“I love attacking, I love having the ball,” Costabile said. “That’s my game. So I love [Cirovski] giving me the free will to go forward and try to play chances, which I’m best at … I just run back and forth and I love it.”

Costabile made an impact with his motivation to get into dangerous attacking areas Monday against Virginia. He won the Terps’ penalty that tied the game before halftime and accounted for the most shots of any Maryland player.

Midway through the opening half, the junior received a pass from Koehl and dribbled into the box. The ball fell back at his feet after his attempted pass to Rogers was intercepted. He positioned the ball onto his left foot but had his shot deflected over the crossbar.

Costabile had two more opportunities to score the winning goal in the second half.

He made a darting run into the box and took a first-time shot that was sent high above the goal 10 minutes into the second half.

[Maryland men’s soccer gets first win with 5-2 domination of Detroit Mercy]

Twenty minutes later, Costabile picked up a loose ball on the top of the box and fired a shot toward the top corner. But, like his two previous efforts, the look blazed over the crossbar.

Despite scoring chance wastefulness — the Terps placed two of their 10 shots on goal Monday — there isn’t a lack of creation of opportunities. Maryland ranks fifth in the Big Ten with 50 shots, but only have put 21 on target.

Costabile, along with Nitzl and freshman Jace Clark who’ve both spent time at right back this year, is vital for the Terps in generating attacking threats. All that’s needed as they continue their nonconference slate is a finishing touch, which could come courtesy of Costabile.

“Luca now has been playing extremely well,” Cirovski said. “That’s the third game in a row now where he’s just been outstanding … We’ve challenged him to become better on the defensive side and become more consistent, and we’ve seen that already.”