Maryland men’s soccer forward Max Riley gave a blunt response to how the Terps’ would respond to their worst season in 22 years when they missed the postseason in 2023. He insisted Maryland would return after a year’s hiatus.

For that to happen — and to avoid a repeat of last season’s disastrous campaign — the Terps need a clinical attack. A veteran presence through the midfield and defense could benefit the attacking unit that’s hopeful of more production in front of goal.

Left back Luca Costabile and center backs Bjarne Thiesen and William Kulvik will link-up for the second consecutive season in Maryland’s defense. The trio were a part of a back line that conceded less than two goals a game in 2023.

The Terps’ central midfield consists of Alex Nitzl, Leon Koehl and Kenny Quist-Therson, who all played in at least 10 of Maryland’s 15 matches a season ago.

Eastern Florida State College transfer Chris Steinleitner will be valuable in both midfield and defense. The junior played a full 90 minutes on the back line in the Terps’ final exhibition against Rider and coach Sasho Cirovski described him as a terrific and experienced player.

Cirovski hopes the poise of players in deeper areas of the pitch will allow his forwards to grow into the team, eliciting greater goal-scoring figures as the season progresses.

“What’s important is we have a little bit more composure in the midfield and back to allow the forwards to get into the game,” Cirovski said.

[Maryland men’s soccer releases 2024 schedule]

Maryland’s 20 goals netted the second-lowest tally in the Big Ten in 2023. Stefan Copetti and Kimani Stewart-Baynes scored eight of those before departing the program, leaving only four returning players this season who tallied a goal last year.

Luke van Heukelum and Riley are two of those players. The pair scored eight goals — each grabbing four — while combining for seven assists. Van Heukelum tied a team-high 13 points in 15 appearances and notched a hat trick in the Terps’ preseason win over Rider.

Colin Griffith’s game time was limited because of an injury last season, but he still supplied four assists in nine games.

“Luke van Heukelum and Colin both are playing at a little bit of a higher level than they did last year,” Cirovski said. “I think we’re seeing some growth in the attack right now.”

The most notable absence from this season’s forwards is Stewart-Baynes. The reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Year was selected fourth overall in the 2024 MLS SuperDraft this offseason.

[Maryland men’s soccer couldn’t overcome its inexperience in historically poor season]

NAIA transfer Sadam Masereka from Lindsey Wilson College is a viable replacement for Stewart-Baynes. Cirovski said Masereka brings “a little bit of juice” to the wider areas of the pitch vacated by the pacey Stewart-Baynes. He played along the touchlines with Max Rogers, a transfer from Yale and Fordham, against Rider.

Rogers brings a passing ability that puts his fellow forwards into the game, according to Cirovski. He provided seven assists last season for the Bulldogs.

“Max can ping balls in really well, he has that killer pass,” van Heukelum said. “Sadam’s got that speed, he can get to that end line really well.”

Maryland’s chances of qualifying for the postseason rests in its forwards. Another season with an inefficient attack could lead to another unprecedented end to the Terps’ season.

“What we’re looking to do is to get the identity of Maryland soccer back,” Cirovski said. “Last year we were quite young. I think we’re a little bit older, a little bit more mature this year, and I think that will translate well as the season progresses.”