Raising Cane’s will soon replace the former Nando’s Peri-Peri location in College Park.

The fast-food chain specializing in chicken fingers will be on the corner of Route 1 and Knox Road. The restaurant aims to open in August or September of 2025, according to a Raising Cane’s representative.

Nando’s College Park location did not renew its lease and closed down permanently in late July, according to Ryan Welch, the restaurant chain’s North America real estate director. The restaurant, known for serving South African chicken and sauces, closed after nearly nine years.

“We appreciate all the support we’ve had from the College Park community, and especially our partnership with the Campus Pantry, which provides emergency food to University of Maryland students, faculty, and staff in need,” Nando’s wrote in a statement to The Diamondback.

[College Park Taco Bell temporarily closes for renovations]

District 3 College Park council member Stuart Adams said he has been aware for a few years that Raising Cane’s was looking to find a location near College Park.

“[Raising Cane’s] should be very much welcomed,” Adams said. “They understand being located in a college town and they often reflect their hours of operation to maximize when students are out and about [and] looking for a quick meal.”

Raising Cane’s in College Park will join seven existing locations in Maryland. The restaurant originally opened in 1996 as a campus eatery at Louisiana State University.