Maryland women’s soccer entered its locker room after being away from each other for spring break. Twenty-five players filled the small space, sitting on top of each other as they talked.

Music blasted in the crowded room but the players’ conversation dominated most of the sound. They jumped up to hug and ask each other about their week. It was a new environment for the team.

“Everyone was just smiling and really excited to see each other. It was great,” captain Katie Coyle said. “I was like, wow, this is very different than it was in the fall and I’m really happy that we took a step in this direction.”

The Terps ended 2023 with a 0-9-1 conference record, finishing last in the Big Ten without scoring a single goal. The team was overwhelmed from the start with a young and scattered roster.

With nine new faces, this year’s preseason effort focused on team bonding and building relationships off the field to create a cohesive unit on the pitch. Coach Meghan Ryan Nemzer hopes it’ll help her rebuild the program.

The four senior captains, Coyle, Halle Johnson, Liz Beardsley, and Lauren Wrigley took initiative at the end of last season. Pizza parties at Coyle’s off-campus house, team barbeques, a Barcelona soccer game in Baltimore, and an escape room allowed friendships to grow naturally.

[Recruiting roundup: Maryland women’s soccer signs top-20 class of 2024]

The captains also created a group chat where players check in about their days and get familiar with each other, according to Nemzer.

But the root of the deeper connection stems from leadership. Coyle and her three co-captains felt a divide between the captains and the team last fall. This season, she hopes they’ll work as a liaison between the team and Nemzer to act as representatives and advocate for the 32 players.
Nemzer said Maryland is the closest team she has experienced. Sometimes, players get to the locker room two hours before training just to hang out with each other, she said.

“But the culture piece of it to me as far as them knowing each other as friends is not a concern by any means,” Nemzer said. “What I’m more so looking for is the responses when things aren’t going so well.”

She has already seen this trust and respect for each other translate on the field. The Terps came on top 2-1 against Bucknell in their first exhibition game. Freshman Emily Lenhard got on the board first and Wrigley added another goal before Bucknell scored off a penalty.

[Maryland women’s soccer should’ve taken a step forward this year. It didn’t — here’s why.]

Talent is divided across the team as it utilizes both upperclassman leadership and freshman talent and grit to succeed on the field. New players fill holes from last season and add depth to the roster, Nemzer said.

Lenhard, a freshman to watch, trained with the Washington Spirit professional team before she joined the Terps a semester early. Taryn Raibon excels in all thirds and is reliable on the backline as well as attack. She notched an assist in Maryland’s exhibition.

Maryland will see the return of defender Tahirah Turnage-Morales, a redshirt sophomore who tore her ACL in the 2023 season. Junior Ava Morales and redshirt sophomore Kelsey Smith are also welcomed assets.

Sophomore defender Kennedy Bell became the first Terp to make the Big Ten’s all-freshman team in 2023.

One of Maryland’s goals this season is to make it to the Big Ten tournament, Nemzer said.

“I think you’re gonna see a team that plays for each other, isn’t afraid to compete, and is really excited to compete for championships,” she said.