It was common to see opposing defenders slam Taulia Tagovailoa to the turf behind the line of scrimmage last season. As Maryland football enters the 2024 season, it not only lost Tagovailoa but also the five-player unit that protected him.

The Terps surrendered 29 sacks last season, the fifth-most allowed in the Big Ten and the 84th-worst mark nationally. Strong defensive lines such as Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State dominated the often-maligned Maryland offensive line last season.

But other numbers tell a different story. According to Pro Football Focus,Maryland had the third-best pass-protecting unit in the conference last season. Only Michigan and Wisconsin earned higher grades.

Maryland’s top five linemen in games started have left, including DJ Glaze, an All-Big Ten selectee who’s now on the Las Vegas Raiders. The Terps’ offense has plenty of new faces, but fully transforming a critical position group figures to be one of their most difficult and important tasks.

“That’s where the grown men play,” coach Michael Locksley said. “It’s like being in a car accident every single play when you’re up front.”

[Maryland football embraces an identity shift in the post-Taulia Tagovailoa era]

Maryland dipped into the transfer portal to address its need, adding four linemen this offseason. Georgia’s Aliou Bah, Purdue’s Josh Kaltenberger, Shorter’s Alan Herron and Buffalo’s Isaiah Wright all entered the fold, though Wright suffered a lower leg injury and could miss the season.

“That’s the one position that takes all five playing collectively as one,” offensive coordinator Josh Gattis said. “We had some hiccups along the way [in the spring].”

Despite the number of new faces, Locksley said the group has united quickly. They have barbecued together and golfed, Locksley said. It feels like the “tightest-knit group,” he said. Kaltenberger added that Dumervil and Herron are the group’s best cooks.

“We’re always eating together, just hanging out at the facility all the time. It’s been really good, gelling each day better and better,” the redshirt senior said.

Kaltenberger has adapted well, Locksley said. The Pittsburgh native has grown accustomed to living in the D.C.-Maryland-Virginia area, and has toured several museums in Washington, D.C. The center played in 36 games for Purdue from 2021 to 2023, and will likely assume a starting role in College Park.

“Josh is just like a kid in a candy store [in the DMV],” Locksley said.

[Top-100 recruit Jaylen Gilchrist commits to Maryland football]

Who surrounds Kaltenberger is a complex question. Bah enters from an SEC powerhouse but has little playing experience. Herron garnered Power Five interest as a transfer, but hasn’t faced Big Ten-caliber defensive lines.

The transfers will likely need to play a large role, though. Locksley and Gattis said it takes two to three years to prepare an offensive lineman for college football. Twelve of the Terps’ 18 linemen have less than three years of experience, meaning proven depth is thin.

“Those [transfers] are going to be impact guys for us,” Gattis said.

To help speed up that development, Maryland added more coaching personnel. Damian Wroblewski joined as an assistant offensive line coach in the offseason and works with offensive line coach Brian Braswell. New assistant Brian Ferentz will also help with the offensive line, Locksley said.

“One of the main reasons why I came here was this coaching staff. Coach Braswell with his experience at the NFL level and the collegiate level, as well as Coach [Wroblewski] now being here and Coach Brian Ferentz,” Kaltenberger said.

All eyes will be on whoever is under center for Maryland against UConn on Aug. 31. The Terps’ new quarterback will have a difficult task replacing Tagovailoa. Just how well they deliver could depend on the five-man group in front of them.