The Taco Bell in College Park is temporarily closed while it undergoes exterior and interior renovations, according to Prince George’s County building permits.

The Mexican-inspired fast-food restaurant on the west side of Baltimore Avenue closed temporarily last week. According to Maryland business records, the owner of the property is BLR Investments, LLC.

According to the building permits, the restaurant plans to install new refrigeration and hood exhaust systems, update the building’s interior and exterior lighting and replace the building’s HVAC system.

[Here’s a look at the College Park business scene in 2024]

The restaurant will also undergo major changes to its facade and receive a new paint job, according to a rendering of the building’s planned exterior.

Taco Bell has operated on Baltimore Avenue since the 1990s, according to county records. A Taco Bell Express, which operates with a limited menu, is inside the Kirwan Food Court on campus.

[Freshly baked: Stamp Panera officially opens]

After Taco Bell closed last week, several posts have circulated social media pages mourning the loss of the popular fast-food option.

One post from the University of Maryland’s Barstool Sports affiliate account, captioned, “RIP CP Taco Bell” with a broken heart emoji, has received more than 5,000 likes and 200 comments discussing the closure.

The county building permits did not indicate when the restaurant will reopen.