At the beginning of April, Maryland’s women’s basketball roster was nearly bare. After Hawa Doumbouya entered the transfer portal, the Terps had six available scholarships.

Coach Brenda Frese has filled that void quickly.

Arkansas transfer Saylor Poffenbarger committed to Maryland on Monday, she announced on Instagram. Poffenbarger is the Terps’ fourth transfer portal addition this offseason.

A versatile wing, Poffenbarger averaged 10.2 points and 11.2 rebounds per game last season. She was a former top-30 recruit and made the All-SEC freshman team in 2022-23.

Poffenbarger went to Middletown High School and was the 2020 Ms. Maryland Basketball. She started her career at UConn, enrolling in January 2021. After playing limited minutes, she transferred to Fayetteville.

[The Diamondback Sports Digest: Maryland women’s basketball gets active in transfer portal]

The 6-foot-2 guard thrived at her new home. Poffenbarger broke the Arkansas single-season defensive rebound record and was the first Razorback to grab 200-plus defensive boards.

Rebounding is her calling card. Poffenbarger collected 29.6 percent of defensive rebounding opportunities as a redshirt sophomore, per HerHoop Stats. She was the top defensive rebounder in the Southeastern Conference and grabbed the second most defensive boards per game in the NCAA this season.

Maryland has struggled with rebounding the past few seasons. Poffenbarger should help.

Alongside recent transfer Mayé Touré, the Terps’ frontcourt has been restocked with versatile, long defenders. Poffenbarger averaged over a block and steal per game last season.

She will also provide the Terps with some spacing. Poffenbarger made 1.8 threes per game on 32.9 percent three-point shooting.

[Rhode Island forward Mayé Touré transfers to Maryland women’s basketball]

Efficiency has been an issue for the Arkansas transfer. She shot just 35.5 percent from the field in 2023-24 and converted on just 38.6 percent of her two-point attempts. Poffenbarger also shot 22.9 percent from beyond the arc as a redshirt freshman at Arkansas.

Her production waned toward the end of the season, averaging just over six points per contest over Arkansas’ final six games.

But Frese is likely not relying on Poffenbarger for her scoring. Maryland already has Shyanne Sellers, Bri McDaniel and Rutgers transfer Kaylene Smikle, who figure to shoulder the offensive load.

The Terps’ latest addition will enter as one of the team’s strongest rebounders and defenders. Poffenbarger should slot in as either Maryland’s starting forward or as a key depth piece off the bench. She has two remaining years of eligibility.

Maryland needed to address its glaring holes in the frontcourt. The past two days have done that.