Matt Swope felt Maryland baseball played well in Friday’s 6-3 loss to Nebraska. The Terps were just missing the “little, tiny details” to exit with a win, the coach said.

Following an 11-2 win on Saturday, they had a chance to claim a series victory for the first time since late March. Yet, Maryland’s shortcomings re-emerged.

The minute details Swope referenced on Friday appeared larger two days later. The Cornhuskers pounced on Joey McMannis for eight runs in three innings and recorded 10 runs in the first four frames.

Maryland (25-16, 6-9 B1G) couldn’t overcome the early deficit and was mercy ruled by Nebraska, 16-4, losing its fourth straight weekend series. It is the first time the Terps have dropped four straight since 2017, a season in which Maryland still reached an NCAA regional.

Nebraska (25-12, 8-4 Big Ten) earned an early two-run lead after a home run by Tyler Stone in the first inning. Stone paraded down the first baseline and tossed his bat toward the Maryland dugout in celebration.

[Maryland baseball’s Brayden Martin extends uncle Walt Williams’ legacy in another sport]

In the second inning, Nebraska stole three bases and scored one of three runs in the frame off a passed ball. The Cornhuskers stole five bases on Sunday.

Joey McMannis struggled in his start and failed to retire the first batter faced in each inning. He walked the first batter faced in both the first and second inning, and then conceded hits in the third and fourth.

The fourth inning was his last as the Cornhuskers recorded three straight hits to open the frame, with the final two sending home runs. Jacob Orr and Eddie Hacopian recorded two of Maryland’s four total errors.

Evan Smith entered for McMannis, but could only secure one out while two more Huskers scored. Ryan Van Buren notched the last two needed to exit the inning after a five-run Nebraska outburst. The Cornhuskers scored another run off Van Buren in the fifth.

A second-inning solo home run from Kevin Keister was Maryland’s only score in the first five frames. Five different Terps struck out in the span, including a pair by Sam Hojnar.

[Maryland baseball drops third straight series opener in 6-3 loss to Nebraska]

The Terps scored three runs in the sixth, recording four hits, but Nebraska responded with five in the bottom half.

Duke McCarron appeared to injure himself after tossing five straight balls in a quick outing, before Nebraska scored four runs off Hunter Baynes and Meade Johnson. It was Baynes’ first appearance this season.

The Terps’ offense was scoreless in the seventh inning, ending the game prematurely down 12 runs.

Maryland has nine games remaining against opponents ranked in the top-70 in RPI, including No. 22 James Madison on Tuesday.

The 2017 squad won four conference series and strung together three wins in the Big Ten tournament as semifinalists. The Terps have won just one Big Ten series with three remaining, and currently sit outside the eight-team conference tournament.