Maryland men’s basketball forward Mady Traore entered the transfer portal on Thursday, a team spokesperson confirmed to The Diamondback.

The France native played in 12 games in the 2023-24 campaign and started in four. The sophomore averaged 1.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per contest for the Terps. Traore spent his freshman season at New Mexico State and will now head to his third program in as many years.

Traore was the fifth player from coach Kevin Willard’s squad to enter the transfer portal, leaving Maryland with three scholarship spots open. While he flashed upside, particularly with his length on the defensive end, Traore departed a crowded frontcourt where he struggled to find minutes most of the year.

[Injury has defined Chance Stephens’ Maryland basketball tenure. He wants to change that.]

Julian Reese and incoming five-star freshman Derik Queen figure to take the starting spots while Jordan Geronimo, who will reportedly return to College Park next season, could move to the bench.

Reese’s backup center Caelum Swanton-Rodger entered the transfer portal on March 18, but freshman Braden Pierce redshirted this year and could add another big player to the mix.

Willard’s main focus in the portal has been adding guards, with Belmont’s Ja’Kobi Gillespie and Virginia Tech’s Rodney Rice both committed to Maryland. Traore’s departure could make room for a forward, though replenishing Jahmir Young’s production and adding more perimeter depth is likely the Terps’ priority.