Before the final routine with her team in her collegiate career, Emma Silberman stared down the runway and toward the vault table.

The graduate student sprinted forward and launched off the springboard and vault. She performed a Tsuk pike and completely stuck the landing.

Silberman saluted to the judges and was awarded an emotional career-high 9.950.

Her individual score was the best of any Terp ever on vault at an NCAA regional. Silberman’s performance helped push Maryland to a 49.175 on vault, which tied its best ever mark at an NCAA regional.

“You can’t write a better story than the career that Emma has had,” coach Brett Nelligan said. “To potentially finish your career with a career high on vault and a stuck landing … it doesn’t get better than that.”

Maryland also earned two 9.850s on the event, courtesy of Natalie Martin and Taylor Rech, to notch their best event score of the day. The Terps’ overall performance on the rotation consisted of solid landings and immense height off the vault table, into the air.

Despite a stellar vault performance, Maryland gymnastics failed to finish in the top two spots at Friday’s NCAA Gainesville regional, ultimately ending its 2024 season.

The Terps placed third with a score of 196.350 — their second best showing at an NCAA regional in program history — finishing behind No. 5 Utah and No. 10 Michigan State but ahead of Towson. The Utes took the top position after earning 11 back-to-back 9.900s or higher.

“I’m so proud of our performance tonight,” Nelligan said. “Coming into postseason, a great environment, really great teams and knocking off another top-25 team this year. I thought the team handled themselves really well.”

[Maryland gymnastics hopes to carry momentum into NCAA regional]

Sierra Kondo leapt onto the high bar in Maryland’s uneven bars lineup. The junior formed into a cast handstand and a staddle Jaeger before she moved down to the low bar via a shotover and connected strongly. Kondo finished in one final handstand and stuck her dismount, a double back layout, to earn a 9.850.

Kondo’s tally wasn’t the only 9.850 of the unit. Alexa Rothenbuescher tied Kondo’s mark with a powerful presence on bars. The senior connected her elements tightly and displayed artistry in her cast handstands. Rothenbuescher nearly stuck her dismount, a full twisting double back.

The Terps earned a 49.050 on the rotation to begin the afternoon. Victoria Gatzendorfer led off with a 9.675 and Rhea Leblanc anchored with a 9.825. Maryland overall performed skillfully and connected release moves, but sat in third place just behind Utah after the first rotation.

Maryland moved to the beam, where it earned a 49.050 at the Big Ten Championships. Layla Hammer flew high in leaps during her routine. The freshman performed a difficult front toss and took no deductions. She continued with poise and composure, hitting her tumbling series, a back handspring to layout stepout.

Hammer earned a 9.875, the joint-highest Maryland score of the unit. The Terps finished the event with a 49.125 after Gatzendorfer added a 9.800 and Kogler a 9.825. Maddie Komoroski fell off the apparatus on her tumbling sequence, ultimately leading to a 9.050 — a career low for the sophomore.

[Maryland gymnastics places program-best fifth with record 196.775 at Big Ten championships]

Unfortunately for Maryland, Utah started to pull away and increase the Terps’ margin behind second place, the last spot that provides qualification to the regional final.

The Utes competed on the bars in the second rotation, an event they ranked No. 6 in the country on during the regular season. Utah was awarded six scores of 9.900 or higher to earn a unit score of 49.575, the team’s season-high on the event.

Fortunately for the Terps, their next rotation was floor, their best event of the regular season.

Rech led off, performing a solid double back tuck in her second tumbling pass. Rech nailed her leap series and dance elements. The sophomore tallied a 9.800 to begin the rotation. Tayler Osterhout followed suit with another 9.800.

Maryland shined on floor, maintaining pointed toes and straight leg lines. Martin displayed just that, exhibiting a difficult full twisting double back. She moved to her leap series and powerfully jumped off the floor into the air to hit 180 splits.

The freshman earned another 9.800 to cap off the floor unit. Leblanc’s 9.825 was the highest score of the rotation, en route to a total mark of 49.000.

Despite not qualifying for the regional final, the Terps’ performance Friday and throughout the season displayed the program’s continued improvement and ability to compete in the postseason.

“We’ve gotten better and better,” Nelligan said. “We just proved again tonight that we’re a program on the rise.”