Maryland men’s basketball turned down a bid to the National Invitation Tournament on Sunday, a team spokesperson confirmed to The Diamondback Tuesday.

The Terps finished the year 16-17 — just the second time since 1993 they’ve had a losing record. They elected to end the tumultuous season.

Accepting the postseason bid could have helped Maryland’s developing freshmen, such as DeShawn Harris-Smith and Jamie Kaiser Jr., gain more in-game experience. The NIT would also have extended Jahmir Young and Donta Scott’s collegiate careers. The spokesperson did not comment on why Maryland declined the bid.

Maryland did not secure an automatic bid under the NIT’s new format. The top two teams by NET ranking that didn’t make the NCAA tournament in each of the top six conferences automatically qualify for the event. Iowa and Ohio State accepted automatic bids to the tournament. A third Big Ten team, Minnesota, accepted an at-large bid.

[Maryland men’s basketball center Caelum Swanton-Rodger enters transfer portal]

Despite a losing record and a 12th place finish in the conference, Maryland ended the regular season ranked No. 82 in the NET — ninth among Big Ten teams. Indiana was the only other Big Ten team to decline an invitation.

The Terps have played in the NIT eight times. Their last appearance was in the 2012-13 season, Mark Turgeon’s second year as head coach. Maryland made the semifinals and fell to Iowa that year. Maryland won the NIT in 1972 under legendary coach Lefty Driesell.

This year’s Terps, given the chance to participate in the postseason and improve on a disappointing regular season, chose to focus on what’s expected to be a busy offseason.