Luke Wierman has a remarkable resume.

No. 5 Maryland men’s lacrosse’s all-time faceoff wins holder has starred at the X ever since taking over as the Terps’ lead faceoff specialist two years ago.

He’s a two-time All-American, two-time All-Big Ten first-team honoree, the 2022 Big Ten Specialist of the Year and a national champion. But the graduate student will be out of eligibility when the 2024 campaign concludes.

That means Maryland will need to replace one of its greatest players. Wierman didn’t play in the Terps’ win against Brown last Saturday — coach John Tillman said he was “nicked up” — and the absence provided a glimpse into the Terps’ possible future.

Junior Shea Keethler and freshman Sean Creter got the first extended look of their careers as they tried to fill the hefty Wierman-sized void.

Neither proved a ready-made replacement. Keethler’s performance fluctuated throughout the game. Creter’s was consistently poor. The two combined for a 43.3 percent faceoff win rate, a 20 percent drop from Wierman’s percentage this season.

[Maryland men’s lacrosse has democratized its offensive approach]

“Experience is the best teacher,” Tillman said.

Tillman rotated between Keethler and Creter after three faceoffs each for the entirety of the first half. Keethler took just nine faceoffs over the past two seasons, most of them coming late in games that had already been decided. He started against Brown while Creter made his Terps’ debut.

The freshman was a candidate to be redshirted after he missed seven weeks in the preseason due to an injury, Tillman said. But the coach decided to “trump” the redshirt because he felt Creter could help Maryland win.

That belief quickly proved false. Creter struggled in the opening half, winning just one of his seven opportunities at the X. He then lost the first two faceoffs of the second half and dropped another at the end of the third frame.

He didn’t see the field again. The five-star recruit and No. 2 faceoff specialist in the Class of 2023, according to Inside Lacrosse, won just one of 10 chances.

Despite the poor showing, Tillman still believes in Creter’s future potential.

[No. 7 Maryland men’s lacrosse scrapes past Brown, 14-13, in overtime]

“I texted Sean after the game and just said, ‘Hey you got a bright future’,” Tillman said. “It’s always difficult going from one level to the next, there’s a lot to learn.”

Keethler won two thirds of his faceoffs in the opening half and received the majority of the faceoffs in the second half and overtime. There, he won six of his 11 chances, a worse mark than his first-half outcome,and lost all three of his third-quarter chances.

But Keethler impressed Tillman with his work late in the game. The Ohio native won six of his final eight faceoffs.

Keethler’s last win gave the Terps the first possession of overtime. Daniel Maltz took advantage with the game-winning goal.

“Down the stretch, I thought Shea really did a nice job in overtime and the fourth quarter,” Tillman said.

The two have a near-impossible job in trying to step in for Wierman, a program great who still has a chance to amass more hardware. But the Terps’ win over Brown showed they will have a clear question at the X when the 2024 season ends.

Maryland has no obvious answer.