TOWSON, Md. — Rhea Leblanc jumped onto the high bar and pirouetted around in Maryland gymnastics’ bars unit. She swung backward and performed a straddle Jaeger connected to a shoot over down to the low bar. The junior kept her legs together and toes pointed on transition.

She moved back up to the high bar and swung three times before sticking her dismount, a double layout. Leblanc was awarded a career-high 9.925 that led the Terps to their fourth highest score on the event all season.

Lead-off Victoria Gatzendorfer also boosted the unit’s tally. The junior performed a pak salto, a release move that calls for a quick transition from high to low bar. She finished her routine in a double back tuck, enough to stick her landing and add a 9.850.

Maryland, coming off back-to-back above 197 scores for the first time in two years, scored a 196.725 on Sunday to narrowly escape TU Arena with a win over Towson.

“I’m really proud of this team,” coach Brett Nelligan said. “This two week stretch is difficult but not only did they complete it but completed it at such a high level.”

Maryland (13-7) generated energy off its first rotation, bars, led by Natalie Martin. She sprinted down the runway and twisted into a Yurchenko one and a half. The freshman exhibited clean form in the air and took a slight step backward on her landing.

Martin was awarded a 9.875, the highest of the unit and one of five Terps to score above a 9.800 on the event. Martin earned a career-best on vault just two meets prior.

[Natalie Martin sets program record as Maryland gymnastics wins Temple Quad with a 197.050]

Alexa Rothenbuescher and Josephine Kogler each added a 9.850 to the team’s total, 49.200. The unit consistently displayed strong form off the vault table and minimal steps on landings.

Towson (17-9) was ranked No. 15 on vault and showed why, tallying a 48.975 by gaining great speed on its runway springs.

After two rotations, the Terps led 98.425 to 98.275.

“I mean to have this kind of toughness on this stretch and peeking at this time is exactly where we want to be,” Nelligan said. “I’m just proud of everyone coming together and helping us prepare for postseason.”

Maryland made its way to floor exercise, its best event in 2024. Rothenbuescher came through to add a 9.850.

“When I stuck the first one [tumbling pass], I was really excited because that’s the most controlled I’ve been all year besides my two feet sticks,” Rothenbuescher said. “I was really excited… then I hit the last one too.”

Leblanc improved the Terps’ floor performance, tallying a 9.875. The junior executed a Rudi, a front layout with a one and a half twist, in her final pass, elegantly flying through the air. She powered through her leap series, hitting full splits in the air. Leblanc entered the competition averaging 9.825.

Martin followed suit with another 9.875. The freshman displayed a full-twisting double back tuck on her first tumbling pass. She gained great height off her back handspring, leaving enough room to twist fully and tuck in one skill. Martin scored above her season average en route to a unit total of 49.150.

[Maryland gymnastics fills its practices with energy, detailed feedback]

Heading into the final rotation, the Terps and Tigers were tied. Both sides were searching for the upper hand.

Layla Hammer mounted the beam and focused on her first sequence. She flipped into a back handspring to layout step out, staying in line with the beam to avoid deductions. The freshman transitioned into another tumbling element, a difficult front toss, landing with her chest up.

She performed a switch leap to split leap and landed proudly. Hammer was awarded a 9.775.

Despite beginning the rotation with two solid markers, the energy took a twist. Martin executed a back handspring to layout. She tumbled off balance, causing herself to split the beam on her layout and fall off the side. Fortunately, the freshman continued after a scary fall but eventually hopped off the apparatus once again.

Martin suffered a career-low 6.200 after tying the program record on the event in the meet prior.

Maddie Komoroski led the way on beam, matching her career-high. The sophomore powered through difficult tumbling elements, a one arm back handspring to layout step out. She pointed her toes and displayed long legs throughout her leap series, hitting full splits in the air.

Komoroski added a 9.925 en route to a unit total of 49.100. Kogler finished the event with a 9.850, showing off her immense flexibility.

“That’s unusual for Natalie,” Nelligan said. “First kind of mistake she’s really had this year. But for Victoria and Maddie and Joe, to stay so calm and finish the job, that’s what you want.”

The Terps just managed to hold on to finish ahead of the Tigers.