Maryland wrestling has routinely redshirted some of its best wrestlers during coach Alex Clemsen’s tenure.

Three members of Clemsen’s 2021 recruiting class — Braxton Brown, Jaxon Smith and Ethen Miller — all redshirted their freshman year. They got valuable time to build skills and strength while acclimating to college-level competition through action in tournaments.

Clemsen has emphasized the importance of activity for young wrestlers. Brown, Smith and Miller all got that during their redshirt seasons. The three combined for 82 matches that year, winning 65 of them.

Two years later, the move has paid off. Miller, Brown and Smith are all nationally ranked in the top 20. All three have legitimate chances at achieving All-American status at the NCAA tournament in March.

Kal Miller will follow their career paths and redshirt the 2024-25 season, Clemsen announced Friday.

[Maryland wrestling overpowers Drexel on senior night, 27-15]

Miller will still have ample opportunities to compete next season, including in dual action. NCAA rules that were first enforced in the 2022-23 season give redshirts five dates to wrestle.

Miller has been a key piece in Maryland’s lineup over the past two seasons. As a true freshman last year, he finished with an 18-18 record and posted plenty of impressive performances against ranked wrestlers. Miller made the NCAA tournament after a deep run at the Big Ten tournament, winning two matches before bowing out.

Miller won his first eight matches of this season, two coming against top-20 opponents at the time. He currently holds an 11-6 record in part to a four-match losing streak. All the defeats came against ranked opponents in competitive matches.

[Michael North’s Maryland wrestling senior day is a mark of personal, team growth]

“We’re talking about razor-thin margins. I think the biggest thing is that he needs to give himself a few more opportunities,” Clemsen said. “When you look at each one of these matches he had leg attacks, he had the leg in the air, he was in position to convert scores and didn’t. Your batting average — when it gets low you gotta take more swings, and he just isn’t doing that right now.”

Dario Lemus projects to fill in for Miller at 141 next season. Lemus redshirted this season but has impressed in limited dual action. He’s 15-6 overall, including a 2-1 record in dual meets this season for the Terps. Both wins came via technical fall.

“Every time I wrestle a match, the whole point is to get better for next year,” Lemus said, “If I know how to get better, [I] just score points, take them down and just keep it going. I’m gonna need it when I wrestle the best guys.”