The Washington Commanders will move business operations from FedEx Field to Riverdale Park in early 2024, the team announced Friday.

“Moving our headquarters will provide exciting new spaces to take in home games and will provide for greater collaboration for our business staff and partnership with the University of Maryland,” Commanders president Jason Wright said in a statement.

The new offices will be located at 4600 River Road in this university’s Discovery District.

The decision was made to meet greater demand for suites, foster connections with the University of Maryland community and expand the franchise’s footprint in Maryland, the team said in a statement.

[Prince George’s County officials say Blue Line Corridor is about community investment, not football]

“The proximity to this new home for the Commanders is an incredible opportunity for our students pursuing invaluable internships and our emerging sports management program,” Ken Ulman, this university’s chief strategy officer for economic development, said in a statement.

The Commanders’ lease at FedEx Field is set to expire in 2027, and some are supportive of potential plans to develop a new stadium in Prince George’s County, touting an economic development project called the Blue Line Corridor as a sales pitch for the team to stay in the county.

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said the team moving its business operations will foster connections with area residents and small businesses.

“The Commanders have been clear that they are focused on winning on and off the field as well as supporting the local community, and this partnership with the University of Maryland highlights that commitment,” Moore said in a statement.