Famously known for playing the sarcastic but loveable Chandler Bing on Friends, actor Matthew Perry died on Saturday at the age of 54.

Friends is a classic show that brought comfort and joy to many. Not just through its timeless humor and wit, but because of its iconic characters. The show hilariously conveyed what it’s like to be a young adult navigating life with your friends.

In 1994, the show premiered when Perry was 25 years old. He, along with his five co-stars, soon became some of the most well-known actors in Hollywood during the show’s 10-season run.

Chandler was my favorite character. He was a socially anxious but caring friend who often used humor as a coping mechanism, as seen in one of the show’s most iconic lines — and my personal favorite in the entire show — “I’m not great at the advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?”

These one-liners established Chandler as the friend group’s comedian. Perry’s humor is unmatched by any sitcom character to ever exist. No one could play Chandler the way he did.

Though Chandler was the funny one of the cast, Perry himself also brought liveliness and joy on set. When you watch clips of the show’s bloopers, Perry is usually the first one to laugh or make fun of the other Friends. 

By perfectly encapsulating Chandler’s quick-witted character and priceless jokes, and Perry’s own humor, he often made the other actors break character and laugh. 

I remember in season 2’s “The One After The Super Bowl – Part 1,” where Rachel Green, played by Jennifer Aniston, could not hold in her laughter when Perry suddenly threw water in Joey Tribbiani’s face.

Though he rose to fame because of Friends, Perry has starred in various other shows, including Second Chance and The Odd Couple, and movies like Fools Rush In, where he starred alongside Salma Hayek.

In 2022, Perry released his book Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir, which I now regret not reading. One thing I do know about the book is that he opens up about his experiences with drug addiction.

Perry said that when he died, he didn’t want to just be remembered for Friends, but also the things he did to help others. 

He established the Perry House, which was a living facility for recovering addicts in Malibu. He sold the property in 2015 but had planned to open a smaller location elsewhere.

Perry also wrote and starred in a play called “The End of Longing” — a personal piece for people struggling with addiction.

“When I die, as far as my so-called accomplishments go, it would be nice if Friends were listed far behind the things I did to try to help other people,” Perry said on the Q with Tom Power podcast in 2022.

Perry brought joy to people with his comedy and tried to help those dealing with substance abuse issues similar to his own. However, we’ll always remember his iconic performance as the one and only Chandler Bing.