Content warning: This article contains mentions of death.

The 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is a hotline for individuals in crisis or for those looking to help someone else in distress. It is free and available 24/7. To speak with a trained crisis counselor, dial 988 or 800-273-8255.

The Help Center at UMD is a peer counseling and crisis intervention hotline operated by trained undergraduate students at University of Maryland. To speak with a trained listener, dial 301-314-4357. Services are free, anonymous and confidential.

The university Counseling Center’s crisis support line is 301-314-7651. If students are experiencing a crisis, they may go to the Counseling Center front desk on the main level of the Shoemaker Building and request to be seen for an urgent visit. Students can schedule non-urgent appointments by calling 301-314-7651.

University Chaplains are also available to provide spiritual support. Students can reach out via phone or email to contact a chaplain.

The University of Maryland Police Department is conducting an investigation after a student died on campus Tuesday, according to a spokesperson for the department.

A student was found dead Tuesday afternoon on the north side of SECU Stadium, according to a campuswide email Tuesday evening from Patty Perillo, this university’s student affairs vice president.

“The tragic loss of life of a member of our campus community is deeply painful,” Perillo said in the email.

The student’s next of kin were informed of the death Tuesday, the email said.

The student who died was enrolled in this university’s behavioral and social sciences college, according to a Tuesday email to students from Susan Rivera, the dean of the behavioral and social sciences college.

An email from this university’s resident life department to residents of Denton Hall confirmed the student lived in that building.

The Maryland Chief Medical Examiner’s office will determine the official cause of death, UMPD spokesperson Lt. Rosanne Hoaas told The Diamondback in an email Tuesday. There is no threat to the university community, Hoaas said.

A UMPD alert at 2:18 p.m. Tuesday said multiple roads on the north side of SECU Stadium were closed due to police activity. An update at 4:23 p.m. said the department had reopened roadways and finished their on-site investigation.

More than 100 students gathered on McKeldin Mall Tuesday night for a vigil to mourn the student’s death, according to Perillo’s campuswide email.

This university dispatched support staff to Yahentamitsi Dining Hall after the incident, the campuswide email said. Support staff were also available in Denton Hall Tuesday evening, according to the resident life department’s email.

Students seeking support can make an appointment at this university’s counseling center, Perillo said in the campuswide email. The counseling center is canceling non-emergency appointments to prioritize support for university community members after this incident, the email said.

Faculty and staff seeking support can look to the faculty and staff assistance program at this university’s health center, the email said.

“In light of this tragedy, we are committed to doing all we can to care for our community,” Perillo said in the email. “Please continue to take care of yourselves and each other.”

This story has been updated.