Maryland field hockey uses three principles to guide players through a strenuous practice and game schedule: “discipline, detail and do your job.”

Nick Greyno, Maryland’s assistant strength and conditioning coach, created the “3D” mindset to highlight the three-dimensional nature of the sport.

To Greyno, who joined the Terps in June, these three principles set Maryland apart from its competition.

“A lot of coaches get very wrapped up in the sets and reps aspect of stuff, which I understand is important, but it’s not everything,” Greyno said.

The Terps’ objective is to “put the best product on the field as possible,” Greyno said, which involves more than just spending time in the weight room.

His philosophy is inspired by his favorite legendary coaches.

[Sammy Popper’s goal lifts No. 9 Maryland field hockey past American, 2-1]

“I spend a ton of my time reading books on leadership, learning from some of the best coaches across a wide variety of sports like the Nick Sabans and Bill Belichicks of football … the Pat Summitts and Dawn Staleys of women’s basketball and obviously the Missy [Meharg]s,” Greyno said.

Greyno defines discipline as establishing concrete day-to-day habits. He emphasizes his players take care of themselves and their bodies in between games — this includes discipline from a nutritional standpoint as well as in the weight room.

When watching film, Greyno urges players to take time out of their days to meet with coaches and listen to feedback.

The detail portion of Greyno’s moniker starts in warmups and extends to games, workouts and even meals. Maryland rotates between five different warm up routines, he said.

“Do your job” is the most important aspect of Greyno’s approach, he said. He urges each player to understand the expectations of their position so the team grows stronger. So far, that approach has produced a 10-3 record this season.

Greyno’s 3D principle is used daily by players and coaches alike.

[No. 9 Maryland field hockey cruises to shutout win over Michigan State for second straight victory]

“If I’m clear what your job is, and you’re just consistent and doing your job, then you know things can work out pretty well,” said Terps coach Meharg. “It’s been a great addition to incorporate.”

Through 13 games, the 3D principle has powered the Terps to strong starts. It’s in players’ minds pregame, Margot Lawn said.

“We always talk about in our pregame prep, we want to be the first ones out the door,” Lawn said. “We want to get the first one out of the gate and just [have] the opportunity to be in that position.”

The Terps have outscored opponents 12-2 in first quarters this season.Ten of those 12 goals were scored in the first six minutes of each match. Maryland is third in the Big Ten in goals per game and fourth in points per game.

Greyno hopes it helps players off the field as much as it does on it.

“At the end of the day, depending on the goals and the future, you should take a deep, detailed approach in everything that you do,” Greyno said. “I think it’s extremely important.”