The University of Maryland has reached the top 50 of the U.S. News’ national college rankings for the first time, climbing nine spots from last year, according to the 2024 rankings released Monday.

This university now sits at No. 46 on the list of national universities, and No. 19 for public universities – maintaining its previous status as a Top 20 public university.

The university also maintained its spot as No. 57 on the list’s global university rankings.

In an email statement to the campus community, university president Darryll Pines wrote the rankings highlight this university’s “steadfast commitment to pursue excellence.”

“While rankings serve as valuable benchmarks, the significance is found in what they represent,” Pines wrote in the statement. “Beyond mere numbers, they are a measure of progress in the investments we are making: investments in our people and faculty research, in making high-quality education accessible and affordable, and in recruiting and retaining an academically talented and diverse student body.”

The 2024 rankings also included other schools from the Washington, D.C., region. Johns Hopkins University and Georgetown maintained their previous spots on the list at No. 9 and No. 22, respectively.