Sunday night, many celebrities walked the champagne carpet of the Oscars in opulent looks. 

Alongside Hollywood’s biggest night comes the opportunity for celebrities to show off some of their best outfits of the year. 

Seeing the nominees and guests’ fashion choices is always a personal favorite of mine. 

With designers, such as Dior, Gucci and Moschino, the looks this year were no exception. Here are some of the best dressed celebrities of the night. 

Michelle Yeoh 

Yeoh seemingly wears something different from her last look every time she steps on a carpet. For this event, she chose a white, ruffled Dior Haute Couture dress. Although this dress is more understated than some of her past dresses, it’s one of my personal favorites. Her minimal jewelry accentuated the outfit, with Yeoh wearing just a bracelet, earrings and a headband. She looked classic and beautiful as she accepted the award for best actress. 

Zoe Saldana

Saldana wore a classically beautiful dress. Her Fendi Couture outfit had small lace cutouts throughout and resembled more of a slip rather than the stereotypical “Cinderella” gown. I thought the champagne color mixed with the white lace gave this dress a vintage feel. Although Saldana stayed simple, this look was still eye-catching and was beautiful on the carpet. 

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

Waller-Bridge showed off a black strapless Dolce and Gabbana corset dress, with a simple necklace and red lip. Considering past awards shows, black is not a common color for her, and I think it accurately expresses the sarcastic and deadpan humor she’s known for. Waller-Bridge couldn’t have worn a dress that suits her more than this one. 

[UMD Esports program has moved past its growing pains and continues to expand]

Angela Bassett

Bassett wore a bright purple Moschino mermaid dress. Although wearing bright colors is not out of the ordinary for Bassett, this ultraviolet shade might be my all-time favorite of hers. The bow neckline was different, but not too much for the event. Her comparably simplistic hair and jewelry allowed the dress to shine, and it was one of the best of the night. 

Sofia Carson

Carson’s Giambattista Valli dress was everything you could want from an Oscars look. Her full ball gown skirt was gorgeous. However, the off-the-shoulder neckline slightly contrasted the traditional feel of the look, putting a modern twist on it. I appreciated the subtle mix of classic and modern fashion, alongside her diamond and emerald Chopard necklace. 

Paul Mescal

I appreciated Mescal veering from the over-worn black tuxedo. Instead, the actor went with a white Gucci tuxedo jacket. To accessorize, he added a red rose on the lapel. While his look was appropriate for the Oscars, I liked the small additions he made to stand out. 

[Film festival brings movies from across the globe to UMD community]

Cara Delevingne

Delevingne wore a one-shoulder, red Elie Saab gown. This look elegantly resembled old Hollywood, and is a slight departure from her typical award show looks. With both her eyeshadow and lip color matching, this outfit made many “best dressed” lists. 

Michelle Williams

Williams arrived for the night wearing a white Chanel dress, with silver sequins and a cape. Although I am not usually the biggest fan of Chanel looks, this one stood out to me. Williams looked angelic in the white, and the cape added an unexpected elegance to the entire ensemble.