Multiple businesses have closed in recent weeks in College Park, including restaurants near the University of Maryland’s campus. Several businesses and housing developments are also expected to open in the city this year. Here’s a roundup of changes to the College Park business scene in 2023.

BookHolders
College Park BookHolders, located at 7326 Baltimore Ave. next to Noodles & Company, has shut down permanently. College Park’s BookHolders first opened in 2000 and was a popular alternative to the University Book Center. This new and used bookstore allowed students to buy and sell textbooks at a lower price.

Papa John’s College Park
Papa John’s Pizza in College Park permanently closed at the end of December. The restaurant, located at 4509 College Ave., seemed to decline in sales over winter break, according to Christopher Brawn, who was a manager of the location and a senior marketing major at this university.

“I can’t say how much it declined, but it definitely wasn’t thriving very much because it was not very busy at all,” Brawn said.

The restaurant likely closed because of rent going into the new year, according to Brawn.

Other pizza locations in College Park that are still open include Ledo Pizza, Blaze Pizza, &pizza, Domino’s and Pizza Kingdom.

[Purple Line construction to bring traffic changes to UMD campus]

Crunch Fitness
Crunch Fitness, which first started as a small gym in New York City, opened in College Park last Thursday. Located about half a mile from the campus on 4320 Calvert Road, the gym offers cardio, weights and machines.

Crunch Fitness started construction about nine months ago, according to assistant manager Theo Hughes. The gym is now open seven days a week.

“We’re a diverse, open-minded community, and we have a culture for fun, with room for everybody,” Hughes said.

The Hub
The Hub College Park, a new apartment complex, is expected to open in fall 2023 at 4210 Knox Road, about half a mile from the campus.

This nine story building will house 480 beds with a mix of rooms, from studio to four bedroom units, according to planning firm Antunovich Associates. Amenities include a rooftop pool, a fitness center and fully furnished rooms.

[New UMD biotech campus to open in Montgomery County in 2023]

Aspen Heights
Aspen Heights, located at 4205 and 4206 Knox Road, will hold two high-rise apartment complexes across from each other.

The first building can house 271 beds and will open in fall 2023. The second building can house 147 beds and will be ready by spring 2024. Amenities include a rooftop pool, a 24-hour fitness center,  study centers on each floor and a pet friendly community.

“The fact that there’s not as much students in the building itself kind of frees up a little bit more space for the students that are living there to be able to utilize all the amenities that are there,” Jelani Blagrove, a leasing consultant at Aspen Heights, said.

The Standard
The Standard, located at 4321 Hartwick Road, is expected to open in fall 2023. The development is owned by Landmark Properties, a developer from Georgia.

The apartment complex will be located behind the College Park Towers apartments and will include 282 multi-family apartment units with 951 beds. Amenities include an academic lounge, a computer lab, three courtyards and a fitness center.