The University of Maryland will not permit cannabis use on campus, even after Marylanders approved a constitutional amendment legalizing recreational marijuana possession beginning in July, according to a Friday email from student conduct director James Bond.

Under federal law, cannabis is currently classified as a Schedule I controlled substance, in the same category as substances like heroin and LSD. Since cannabis is controlled under federal law, it is not permitted on campus under the Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act.

The Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act requires higher education institutions to establish policies addressing unlawful alcohol and drug use. This university’s code of student conduct prohibits the unauthorized distribution, production, manufacture or possession of any controlled substance.

“Our policies and practices related to cannabis use will not change when the new law takes effect,” Bond wrote in the email.

[Marylanders vote to legalize marijuana possession]

Maryland residents on Tuesday voted in favor of a constitutional amendment that would allow people 21 and older to possess 1.5 ounces of marijuana beginning in July. The state will also remove criminal penalties for possession of up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis.

In October, President Joe Biden urged the Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Justice to review the classification of cannabis under federal law.