Angela Nastase will be the University of Maryland’s interim Title IX coordinator and director of the Office of Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct, diversity and inclusion vice president Georgina Dodge announced Thursday.

Nastase served as the associate director and deputy Title IX coordinator at this university in the 2021-22 academic year. She will succeed Grace Karmiol, who worked as the university’s Title IX director for the past three and a half years. Karmiol’s last day will be Aug. 26.

“[Nastase] has been integral in ensuring that the university conducts prompt, thorough and impartial investigations into discrimination and Title IX complaints,” Dodge wrote in an email.

Dodge credited Nastase with revitalizing campus outreach and educational programs regarding Title IX in her previous position.

[UMD students commend Biden administration’s proposed Title IX changes]

Nastase has worked as a Title IX coordinator for both George Mason University and Marymount University. She also served as deputy Title IX coordinator and investigator at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Dodge wrote. Nastase has also worked as a risk management consultant at United Educators, one of the nation’s largest risk retention groups.

Nastase received her law degree from the Creighton University School of Law and her bachelor’s degree in education from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

This university’s leadership will meet with the campus community and advocacy groups during Nastase’s transition into the role, according to the email.

“I am confident in Angela’s leadership to keep the office running effectively and efficiently during this time of transition and in the academic year ahead, so we can continue to provide this integral service to our campus community,” Dodge wrote.