Taking nudes can be intimidating, especially if you’ve never done it before. So here are seven easy tips to help you get started:

• Choose a space you are comfortable in

• (Illustration by Clara Longo de Freitas/The Diamondback)

Chances are, unless you’re used to taking nudes, you’ll feel a little out of your element at first. This is why choosing a space you are comfortable with is key. I personally like my bathroom since there’s plenty of mirrors, light, places to sit and walls to lean on.

• Lighting is everything

You’ll quickly find out that good lighting can make or break a nude. There’s no need to get fancy here, since I’m assuming most people don’t have ring lights and oodles of lighting devices on hand. I prefer natural light coming in from the side, but experimenting with how light hits your body is important. Of course, you’ll often find yourself taking nudes when natural lighting isn’t available. In this case I would try to make your space as bright as possible. Using your phone’s flash is OK too.

[Sex in College Park 2022]

• A mirror (or multiple) is your best friend

For most full body shots, you’ll want to use a mirror because, you know, full body shots. I like using a full length mirror that I can move around. My bathroom also has several mirrors above the sinks, which allow for many options when it comes to angles. With mirrors, you can get the traditional full front shots, lean on the sink counter and get above the hips shots, as well as getting some photos of your back-side reflecting in the mirror. 

• Experiment with different positions

Just because it’s not the “traditional” photo, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go for it. Don’t feel like you have to stay standing — try sitting on the floor (make sure it’s clean and warm) or on a counter or bathtub ledge. Try touching parts of your body. Basically, experiment.

• Don’t be afraid to crop

Not all nudes have to be of your entire body. Feel free to zoom in on certain parts you want to highlight or crop.

• You don’t have to be completely naked

Yes, I know this is a guide on how to take nudes, but these are your nudes and if you don’t want to be completely nude, you don’t have to be. Try experimenting with different lingerie and undergarments. Try wearing bottoms and no top (or the other way around).

• Having fun and practicing is key

As with anything, practice makes perfect. It will take time to figure out what works best for you and your body. Most importantly, don’t take this too seriously and have fun. Finally, remember that nudes don’t have to be for anyone other than yourself. Just because you felt good about your body and wanted to take some photos, doesn’t mean you’re obligated to send them.