The University of Maryland dining halls will be offering a carry-out option during the first two weeks of the spring 2022 semester, according to a Wednesday email.

Upon entering the dining hall, students must decide to either dine in or carry-out their meal, the email said. If they leave, students can only reenter the dining hall after a 30 minute “lock out window,” according to the email. 

Dining Services switched to carry-out in mid-December after the university experienced a spike of 98 new covid cases identified through on-campus testing in one day.

[The Clarice will require patrons to show proof of vaccination or negative COVID test]

Masks are required to enter the dining halls and can only be removed when seated and actively eating or drinking, the email read. Everyone must also sanitize their hands before entering the dining hall, according to the email.

“Whether you’re dining with us or taking your meal back to your residence hall, we encourage you to practice safe physical distancing during this critical return-to-campus time,” the email read.

The university also announced this month that all students, staff and faculty will be required to receive booster shots  prior to the spring 2022 semester and KN95 masks are required in all academic buildings on the campus.