University of Maryland Provost Jennifer Rice encouraged instructors to consider implementing remote learning on Oct. 1 due to the upcoming football matchup against the University of Iowa, according to an email obtained by The Diamondback.

The game, set for Friday at 8 p.m. at the Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium, is expected to bring increased traffic to campus, Rice wrote in the Monday email.

“Our athletic programs provide rich opportunities for our students and our campus community, and while supporting our Terps, we must also keep our academic enterprise prioritized and in focus,” the email read. 

[UMD to expand COVID-19 testing for asymptomatic individuals]

Faculty and staff opting to remain in person should be aware that certain lots will be reserved for game parking beginning at 2 p.m., Rice wrote.

The email did not cite coronavirus cases as a reason for recommending remote learning on the day of the game.

At this university, COVID-19 cases have been steadily increasing since the beginning of the semester. As of Tuesday, there are 240 positive cases at the university, and a weekly positivity rate of 2.1 percent, according to the Diamondback COVID-19 Dashboard. 

In order to combat the rising cases, the university recently announced the distribution of KN95 masks for students, faculty and staff as well as expanded campus testing for asymptomatic vaccinated individuals. In-person classes are ongoing.

This story has been updated.