The University of Maryland canceled study abroad programs in the United Kingdom and Spain for the fall 2021 semester, according to the Education Abroad website. 

The university’s decision comes after the U.S. Department of State issued a “Do Not Travel” advisory to the U.K. and Spain due to a surge in coronavirus cases. Both countries are ranked at the highest level of travel risk by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Although students will no longer be allowed to attend study abroad programs in the U.K., they have the option to choose an alternative study abroad program or work with advisors to resume coursework at this university for the fall term, according to an email obtained by The Diamondback. 

If a student decides to find another study abroad program, they must meet with an Education Abroad advisor to determine the best program that would fit the student’s needs, the email noted. 

[UMD to offer some in-person study abroad for the first time since spring 2020]

Students who decide to stay in College Park and resume courses on campus must register for classes immediately and contact their academic advisors to coordinate any specific arrangements for the fall, the email to students in the U.K. program stated. 

The Education Abroad team also encourages students to contact their insurance provider if they purchased trip cancellation insurance to coordinate refunds for expenses such as airfare or housing. 

All program-related fees billed by the university are refundable, including the Education Abroad fee, according to the email. The Education Abroad team will contact the Office of Financial Aid and academic advisors about program cancellations, the email added. 

Students who have concerns about finding housing in College Park are encouraged to reach out to the Education Abroad team as they plan to coordinate with the Department of Resident Life on the behalf of students, according to the email.  

“We recognize that this is not the outcome you had hoped for and hope that you take advantage of the support resources available to you as you navigate this difficult moment,” Education Abroad director Leeanne Dunsmore wrote in the email.

This story and its headline have been updated.