After making his first NCAA tournament appearance as a head coach, Rob Vaughn isn’t going anywhere. He signed a five-year contract extension Tuesday that will keep him with Maryland baseball through June 2026. 

“Coach Vaughn has continued to elevate the Maryland baseball program,” said Damon Evans, the University of Maryland athletic director, in a statement. “He has been a vital part in building one of the most successful eras in Maryland baseball history. In addition to the on-the-field performance, Rob has continued to develop a culture of growth and success.”

Vaughn is 93-82 since taking the helm as the Terps’ head baseball coach in 2017, and at age 34, he is one of the youngest coaches in Division I baseball. He has been with the program since he was hired as an assistant coach in 2013. 

“My extension is the direct result of the many players that I’ve had the opportunity to coach as well as the amazing assistant coaches that I’ve had the pleasure of working with everyday,” Vaughn said in a statement.

[Ben Cowles picked by New York Yankees in 10th round of MLB Draft]

The Terps’ manager has coached six Maryland players who became Major League Baseball draft picks, including Sean Burke and Ben Cowles, who were both selected this offseason. 

While Vaughn has to navigate losing both of those players, he has three Big Ten All-Freshman players in Jason Savacool, Luke Shliger and Matt Shaw who will be the key to continued improvement in Vaughn’s fifth season as head coach.

Maryland baseball notably made the playoffs after going 18-4 in the second half of their regular season. It was the best record among Power Five schools in that span and shot the Terps into the top 25 for the first time in four years. Vaughn’s team would end up losing to East Carolina in a Greenville Regional elimination game to end their season at 30-18 overall. 

“​​The future is incredibly bright here in College Park and I’m grateful to be a part of it for the long haul,” Vaughn said.