After setting out to deliver recommendations this semester, the University of Maryland Task Force on Community Policing is delaying finalization to the summer, according to a statement from the task force co-chairs.

The task force, which was created last July, was designed to create a set of recommendations to improve the community’s relationship with University of Maryland Police. This is the second time the recommendations have been delayed.

University President Darryll Pines told The Diamondback on Wednesday that he recently met with the task force. He was presented with preliminary recommendations, which are still “in a draft stage,” he said.

“Part of their delay has been they’ve created several subcommittees. And they wanted to get sufficient engagement with all stakeholders in the community. And unfortunately, those meetings and processes have taken a long time,” Pines said.

[UMD Task Force on Community Policing pushes back release of recommendations]

The 29-person task force is composed of 12 professors, seven students, two University Police officers and other community members.

The task force’s work will culminate in a set of recommendations for community policing, an analysis of findings and implementation strategies and goals, according to a statement from task force co-chairs Bonnie Thornton Dill, dean of the arts and humanities college and Gregory Ball, dean of the behavioral and social sciences college.

At first, the task force expected to release the recommendations by January or February, Ball said in an October interview with The Diamondback. Then, the recommendations were delayed until the end of the spring semester.

The task force hopes to “get it just right” and encapsulate the community’s perspective in the recommendations, Pines said.

Once the recommendations and a full report are developed over the summer, there will be a campuswide town hall with Pines and members of the task force during the fall semester, according to the statement from Thornton Dill and Ball.

Senior staff writer Eric Neugeboren contributed to this report.