The University of Maryland lifted the mask mandate on outdoor exercise Thursday, health center director Dr. Spyridon Marinopoulos wrote in an email.

The announcement follows guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Prince George’s County. 

The university will also transition to loosened testing expectations for vaccinated people this summer, Marinopoulos wrote.

Beginning May 22, the university will transition to new testing guidance. Students, faculty and staff who are vaccinated and do not have symptoms will not need to be tested in June and July, according to the email.

Marinopoulos urged community members to indicate their vaccination status on the daily symptom check.

Community members who plan to be on campus during the summer and have not yet been vaccinated will need to be tested at least once per month. Testing will be available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays over the summer.

[USM Chancellor Jay Perman issues systemwide COVID-19 vaccine mandate]

Following the USM chancellor’s announcement that vaccinations will be required for the fall semester, the health center encourages all students, faculty and staff returning to campus in the fall to get vaccinated as soon as possible and no later than Aug. 2, according to the email.

This university will comply with all federal and state laws in granting appropriate exemptions for medical or religious reasons and will announce international student vaccination expectations at a later date, according to the email.

This university will continue to actively monitor the latest information from the CDC, the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County Health Department to help guide decisions and expectations for the fall semester, Marinopoulos wrote.

This story has been updated.