A community COVID-19 testing site in Landover that will accept walk-in appointments will open Saturday morning, according to a release from the Maryland Health Department. 

The site will be on the campus of City of Praise Family Ministries and will replace the testing site at Six Flags, which is now a state mass vaccination site. 

Individuals who go to the site will self-administer COVID tests with guidance from trained personnel.

The tests are free and don’t require referrals from a doctor, according to the release. 

[Maryland’s first FEMA-run vaccination site to open in Greenbelt on April 7]

“It is critical that we continue using every tool at our disposal to end this pandemic,” Lt. Gov. Boyd K. Rutherford said in the release. “Testing allows us to keep a close eye on when and where the virus spreads and reminds us to be vigilant to keep those who are not yet vaccinated safe.”  

Starting the week of April 5, the Landover site will also offer monoclonal antibody infusion treatment, which can help the immune system fight COVID-19 and lessen the severity of cases.

The site will be open Mondays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. 

Jon Weinstein, director of the Maryland Testing Task Force, called the site a “national model” for COVID-19 services and said it will aid in efforts to make testing and treatment more accessible.

“We look forward to a long partnership with faith and community leaders in getting underserved residents the testing and treatment options they need,” he said.