University of Maryland President Darryll Pines named 19 campus community members who will sit on the search committee for the school’s next provost in a campuswide email Friday.
The committee will be chaired by Jeffrey Hollingsworth, the university’s chief information officer. Two undergraduate students — Dan Alpert and Pauline Sow, who are both members of the Student Government Association’s executive branch — were named, along with two graduate students. Daniel Laffin, one of the graduate students, is president of the Graduate Student Government.
The announcement comes almost a month after the university announced that then-Provost Mary Ann Rankin would be stepping down from the post at the end of January.
All candidates for the position will be drawn from the University System of Maryland’s talent pool, according to Friday’s email.
“I am confident in the committee’s ability to deliver a pool of finalists out of which we will select a candidate who will lead our academic enterprise,” Pines wrote. “This search coincides with a period of rapid change in higher education, as we continue to implement new and innovative ways to teach and learn.”
Ann Wylie, a long-time faculty member in the university’s geology department, has served as interim provost since Feb. 1.
According to the email, members of the search committee include:
- Dr. Jeffrey Hollingsworth, chief information officer and computer science professor
- Dr. Ritu Agarwal, senior associate dean of the business school
- Daniel Alpert, senior marketing major and SGA president
- Dr. Natasha Andrade, lecturer and associate chair of the civil and environmental engineering department
- Dr. Oscar Barbarin, African American studies professor
- Dr. Elizabeth Beise, physics professor and associate provost
- Dr. Jie Chen, health policy and management professor
- Dr. Maureen Cropper, economics professor
- Cynthia Hale, associate vice president
- Dr. Christopher Jarzynski, physics professor
- Dr. Warren Kelley, senior associate vice president
- Daniel Laffin, public policy graduate student and Graduate Student Government president
- Dr. Keith Marzullo, professor and dean of the information studies college
- Dr. KerryAnn O’Meara, counseling, higher education and special education professor and special assistant to the president
- Gesine Pryor-Azevedo, architecture graduate student
- Dr. Lourdes Salamanca-Riba, materials science and engineering professor
- Dr. Saúl Sosnowski, languages, literatures and cultures professor
- Pauline Sow, senior dance, economics, government and politics major and SGA executive board member
- Dr. Bonnie Thornton Dill, professor and dean of the arts and humanities college