Prabhudev Konana has been appointed dean of the University of Maryland’s business school, the university announced Monday.

Konana, who currently serves as the associate dean of instructional innovation at the University of Texas at Austin’s business school, will assume the position in January, according to a campuswide email sent Monday. 

“I have no doubt that he will swiftly implement big ideas, while strengthening academic connections throughout Smith and across campus,” Provost Mary Ann Rankin wrote in the email. “Dr. Konana will contribute immediately to the academic reputation for innovation and research excellence.”

Konana has more than 25 years of leadership experience and previously served as the chairperson of the University of Texas at Austin’s information, risk and operations management department, according to the email. As chairperson, Konana oversaw the creation of several new programs, such as a master’s degree in business analytics and a master’s degree in technology and management. 

He has published hundreds of articles in journals, magazines and conference proceedings. Konana also received the National Science Foundation Information Technology Research grant and the National Science Foundation CAREER Award.

He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Mysore in India, as well as a master of business administration and a doctorate from the University of Arizona, Tucson.