This article is part of The Diamondback’s 2020 Orientation Guide. Click here for the rest.

As the state’s flagship university, UMD has a lot of history — and a lot of fun facts. Brush up on your trivia before the semester starts!

1. You can see the Washington Monument from the top of Maryland Stadium.
  2. UMD has six — count ‘em, six — libraries on campus.
  3. More than 100 couples get married in the chapel on campus every year.
  4. There’s a spot on campus that is supposedly cursed — if you step on the Point of Failure, you won’t graduate in four years.
  5. UMD researchers made a computer that can beat Jeopardy! winner Ken Jennings.
  6. There are six different Testudo statues around the campus.
  7. In 2011, Maryland fans were named one of the worst fan bases in the U.S., due to repeated riots after basketball games.
  8. People leave offerings to the Testudo statue in front of the McKeldin Library. One time, things got out of hand and Testudo caught on fire.
  9. Some of National Treasure: Book of Secrets was shot on McKeldin Mall, and part of St. Elmo’s Fire was filmed on Fraternity Row.
  10. Part of the music video for Hootie & the Blowfish’s song “Only Wanna Be With You” was shot at the Reckord Armory.
  11. UMD has its own golf course.
  12. UMD also has its own farm! It’s featured a lot of cool stuff over the years, like a living cow with a hole in its side.
  13. Queen Elizabeth II of England attended her first American football game at UMD.
  14. McKeldin Mall is considered the longest collegiate mall in the country!
  15. The Testudo statues on the campus are based on an actual Diamondback Terrapin, whose taxidermied body is in the University Archives.
  16. The Maryland men’s basketball team won the 2002 National Championship, and the women’s basketball team won the national title in 2006.
  17. Morrill Hall is the only academic building that survived the 1912 Great Fire.