University of Maryland students should receive their partial refunds for room and board, among other fees, by April 30, according to a campuswide email from the financial services office sent Monday. 

The refund will first be applied to any outstanding balance on students’ accounts, according to the email from Alisa Abadinsky, associate comptroller in the financial services office. If there is no balance remaining, the refund will be sent to the student instead.

The refund will be mailed, unless the student signs up for direct deposit, which would help them get the refund more quickly, the email stated.

[Read more: UMD orders hiring freeze to offset losses from coronavirus closures]

“This is an unprecedented situation and we are working as quickly as possible to credit accounts and process refunds,” Abadinsky wrote.

President Wallace Loh announced in a campuswide email April 2 that students would receive partial refunds and/or credits for room and board and parking, in addition to a number of other mandatory fees.

The credits are granted on a prorated basis, which means that students will receive funds for the services that they were unable to use during the online portion of the semester.