Former Maryland Terrapins pitcher Mike Shawaryn was called up to the Major Leagues by the Boston Red Sox on Thursday. This marked the first time that Shawaryn has been called up to a Major League roster, having been in the minor leagues since being drafted in 2016.

While at Maryland, Shawaryn broke several school records across his three seasons. Shawaryn holds the school records for career wins (30), strikeouts (307) and innings pitched (307.1), along with the single-season records in wins and strikeouts, as he racked up 13 and 138, respectively, in 2015.

Shawaryn was also a 2015 first-team All-Big Ten selection and was named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week five times, among other honors.

Shawaryn was a fifth-round draft pick by the Red Sox in 2016. He has been a minor league stand out, quickly progressing through the farm system. In 2018, he spent time between AA Portland and AAA Pawtucket, where he went a combined 9-10 with a 3.44 ERA, 1.125 WHIP and 8 SO/9.

Before being brought up Thursday, Shawaryn had a solid start to his season in Pawtucket, going 1-2 with a 3.72 ERA across 10 starts.

His debut had to wait, though, as last night’s scheduled game between the Red Sox and the Yankees was postponed until August 3.