Late in Maryland women’s lacrosse’s March 13 win over Penn, the Quaker defense closed in on midfielder Erica Evans as she drove toward the cage. She fired well wide, extending the Terps’ six-plus minute scoreless streak.

Though the Terps scored soon after and won, 14-9, the aggressive Penn defense didn’t make things easy for the No. 2 team in the country.

The Terps will face another strong defense when they host No. 16 Princeton on Wednesday, and should be worked just as hard as the last time they squared off against an Ivy League squad.

“They’re a tough team defensively,” coach Cathy Reese said. “They’re very disciplined and smart.”

[Read more: No. 2 Maryland women’s lacrosse cruises to 18-5 win over No. 6 James Madison]

The Tigers are effective at forcing turnovers and limiting shot percentage, two areas in which Maryland sees room for improvement.

The Terps started the season shooting poorly and didn’t eclipse the 50 percent mark — their benchmark for every game — until their fourth contest. After a few stronger games, they have been inconsistent. Princeton, meanwhile, is holding opponents to a 38.3 shooting percentage this season.

The last time Maryland played a team comparable to the Tigers, though, it produced its most efficient shooting performance of the year. Penn entered the game holding opponents to 27 percent, and the Terps responded by pouring in 14 goals on 61 percent shooting.

[Read more: James Madison slowed Maryland women’s lacrosse’s offense, but couldn’t stop it]

The Terps will need to capitalize on their opportunities at the same clip against a sharpshooting Princeton team, which ranks second in the nation in shooting percentage.

“This goalie is really good,” attacker Brindi Griffin said. “[We’re focusing on] taking the extra second to fake and stick it.”

Against the Quakers, the Terps leaned on a big performance from attacker Caroline Steele, who slotted in five goals. However, the senior missed the last game against James Madison due to injury. But even with Steele recovering, the Terps’ seventh-ranked offense boasts a litany of offensive players capable of having a big game.

“We have a really special group,” Reese said. “Anyone on the field for us at any given time can score.”

Despite Maryland boasting the second-lowest turnover rate in the nation, it will face a stout test against Princeton, which ranks 13th in the nation with 11.57 caused turnovers per game. They forced Temple to cough up the ball 18 times and harassed Brown into 16 giveaways.

“We turn the ball over a little too much,” goalkeeper Megan Taylor said. “Anyone will say that on our team.”

Princeton’s success taking it away serves as a stark contrast to Maryland, which has the seventh-lowest caused turnover rate in the nation. Instead, Maryland’s defense is predicated on forcing bad shots and saving them, with Taylor owning the best save percentage in the country.

“When we come up with a big stop on defense and bring it down,” Griffin said. “We really want to capitalize on that.”

Maryland showed promise against a defensively-minded James Madison team on Sunday. It turned the ball over 12 times, its third-fewest total against currently ranked opponents this season.

The Terps will hope to build upon that performance, as well as their win over Penn, to take down another vaunted defense Wednesday.

“One of our goals as a team is to get better every day,” Reese said. “This team is really doing that.”